Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need chlorinating liquid

1. Back To Top    #1

Need chlorinating liquid

I've been using TFP all season on our first pool. I'm down to 2 bottles of 10% chlorinating liquid from Walmart but all the walmartds in the area (according to their website) are out.

With the size pool we need nearly a bottle a day and last time I checked bleach was at least twice the price and not as strong.

Any suggestions where to look for similar prices so I don't have to spend $500 in chlorine for the season.
    Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need chlorinating liquid

You might check out hardware stores for liquid chlorine as well. I'm kinda rural and can get the 10% stuff at my local Ace horse and garden and feed store. It isn't cheaper, but being rural I might actually try to negotiate if I chlorinated with it all summer but I'm a SWG owner and only needed it for SLAM.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    You might check out hardware stores for liquid chlorine as well. I'm kinda rural and can get the 10% stuff at my local Ace horse and garden and feed store. It isn't cheaper, but being rural I might actually try to negotiate if I chlorinated with it all summer but I'm a SWG owner and only needed it for SLAM.
    Our plan was to go salt but I held off as I was told I would likely only get 3-4 years out of a cell here. But been using a crazy amount of chlorine and struggling to keep it at 4ppm so I'm considering it again. Such a pain buying 5-10 gallons at a time.
    Christopher

21' x 43' IG 40K Gallon vinyl and concrete pool; liner: 2016; Hayward DE7220 filter; Maytronics M400; TFT-100; Speed-Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

about your only other choice may be the 8.25% bleach from the Dollar General, or Walmart... about $2.95/gal until your Walmart gets more of the 10% in stock.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Your location says New England. I can't imagine you'd get any less time out of a SWG than me in the south with an open pool for no less than 5 months a year. My understanding is that an SWG will produce chlorine "essentially" for "X" amount of hours which equates to the "expected" life span of 5 years.....or so.

The 5 year anniversary of my build is this month and original SWG is still happy and chlorinating. Today at least. I'd think you might actually get longer up there.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Might need to actually go there and check.

My local wal mart has no stock according to the web site, but I had just bought 10 gallons and the shelves were full. I checked for several days and they always showed out of stock. Was there a few days later for something else so I walked back to the pool section and the shelves were still fully stocked.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith99 View Post
    Might need to actually go there and check.

My local wal mart has no stock according to the web site, but I had just bought 10 gallons and the shelves were full. I checked for several days and they always showed out of stock. Was there a few days later for something else so I walked back to the pool section and the shelves were still fully stocked.
    I've been there a few times. They had like 100 bottles last time they had some, so I picked up 6 more not knowing I really had anything to worry about. They been out for a week now. Worried they not going to be restocking.
    Christopher

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Any suggestions where to look for similar prices so I don't have to spend $500 in chlorine for the season.
    You might recheck that math. Most folks report similar pricing on different forms of chlorine. Certainly some a bit higher but not enough to break the bank.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You might recheck that math. Most folks report similar pricing on different forms of chlorine. Certainly some a bit higher but not enough to break the bank.
    I'm guessing we get around 90-100 days tops of pool time around here. Probably closer to 80. But Let's say 90, at $2.50 a bottle that's around $225, Bleach at walmart is more like $4+ a bottle and weaker so I'd need more, easily putting me way over $500. The pool store said I needed about $600 in chemicals a year for our pool when I initially was doing research, and that's with all the garbage they want you to put in it.

Someone said earlier they spend like $100 thanks to the TFP method on their pool. I don't see how that's possible with how many bottles I've used in just the first month.
    Christopher

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool size! You have a 40k gallon pool and you are going to use a lot more than someone with a 6k gallon would.

I know I'm only using about 1.5 gallon a week in my 14k gallon. You might check other places such as lowes or home depot. Menards (a midwest lumber chain) just had an ad for 12.5% liquid shock for $1.77/gallon after a small rebate.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure where in New England you are but we have Ocean State Job Lot here in Mass. They usually have liquid shock 12.5% there. Might be worth a shot for you.
    24 ft round AG 12,700 gal. vinyl
    Doughboy Sequel II Rotary DE filter
    TF-100 test kit. 1st full season

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan C View Post
    Not sure where in New England you are but we have Ocean State Job Lot here in Mass. They usually have liquid shock 12.5% there. Might be worth a shot for you.
    Never heard of them, I will look and see if they are around. Everywhere else I have looked has been at least 2.5x as expensive and with 40,000 gallons I use a lot.
    Christopher

13. Back To Top    #13

Also, Don't rely too much on Wally World's online stock count for commodities such as this. I would call or visit the nearest stores and see if they have any. You could try calling them, but it's a guessing game getting someone that actually knows.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

15. Back To Top    #15

The Walmart website says they're out in my area too. I went into the store and it is still $2.50 and only one week old.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
    There is one one town over, I'm going to try to make it out there tomorrow.
    Christopher

17. Back To Top    #17

I spend about $100/year on my pool and that includes testing reagent refills- I have a smaller pool than you, I have a SWG and I'm just adding bleach to boost my FC when I want an instant rise.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

18. Back To Top    #18

Be sure to check the dates at Ocean State though.
    24 ft round AG 12,700 gal. vinyl
    Doughboy Sequel II Rotary DE filter
    TF-100 test kit. 1st full season

19. Back To Top    #19

I have a SWG. I'm on season 9 with it and it's running fine. Our pool is open 5 mos/yr.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump