Just upgraded to SWG - Trying to figure out pump run time and SWG settings

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
I just installed a Pentair IC40 SWG yesterday. Before the upgrade all readings were within recommended range with FC coming back from a superchlorination and at around 5. I checked the pool last night and FC was at 10 after only 8-hours of runtime with IC40 at 50%. I dropped the IC40 down to 20% today, and FC is still 10-11 (no CC).

PH - 7.5
Salt - 3400
CH 0 300
TA - 80
CYA - 70-80 (still getting used to this test)

I turned off the SWG and am going to wait for FC to go back to 5 or below and then start running it again. The SWG shows low flow at 1210RPM so I set low speed at 1800 RPM for 4-hours a day and high speed at 2300 RPM for 4-hours per day (2-4-2) with high speed during middle of the day when sun is directly on pool. I plan to run it longer on weekends when it gets more use.

Any suggestions or is it just trial an error to figure out the best pump run time, RPM, and % on the SWG. I know it is oversized, and from what i read on this forum, it is worth the minimal cost difference as it will last longer. I have a seasonal pool, so I am hoping to get 5+ years out of it.

I am interested how this turns out because I will be heading down the same path here in a few weeks.

My plan of attack (unless someone here tells me otherwise) is to establish my pump run times and rpms first. Set the SWG at 50% (liquid chlorine on hand to supplement if needed) test ch levels after 24hrs then adjust SWG either up or down.

I just installed a Pentair IC40 SWG yesterday. Before the upgrade all readings were within recommended range with FC coming back from a superchlorination and at around 5. I checked the pool last night and FC was at 10 after only 8-hours of runtime with IC40 at 50%. I dropped the IC40 down to 20% today, and FC is still 10-11 (no CC).

PH - 7.5
Salt - 3400
CH 0 300
TA - 80
CYA - 70-80 (still getting used to this test)

I turned off the SWG and am going to wait for FC to go back to 5 or below and then start running it again. The SWG shows low flow at 1210RPM so I set low speed at 1800 RPM for 4-hours a day and high speed at 2300 RPM for 4-hours per day (2-4-2) with high speed during middle of the day when sun is directly on pool. I plan to run it longer on weekends when it gets more use.

Any suggestions or is it just trial an error to figure out the best pump run time, RPM, and % on the SWG. I know it is oversized, and from what i read on this forum, it is worth the minimal cost difference as it will last longer. I have a seasonal pool, so I am hoping to get 5+ years out of it.

Hi, as long as that flow light on your salt cell is green your rpms are fine.

Now for your high fc, your salt call is over sized and you could have went with an ic-20 that would work fine. Also when you test the water make sure you're not testing the water in your pool by any returns as that will give you a high chlorine rating since chlorine made from the salt cell is coming from your returns. Grab your water sample from the deep end of the pool about elbow deep in water with having your pool running for at least 2 hours for an accurate reading.

If it's still high just drop it to 20 and wait a couple of days til your fc level drops. If you want to run low rpms on your pump just make sure your rpms are high enough to make your flow light green on your cell and run your pump for about 14 hrs.

Also on the side note when you installed your intellachlor make sure you get the power from the same relay as the main pump and wire it to the load side on the relay for the main pump so when your pump turns on for schedule from your automation then your salt cell with get power and when your main pump turns off from schedule it will cut the power to your salt cell.

Thous intellachlors have a set amount of hours that it will allow its self to work. When it reaches a certain amount of hours it will self destruct. That way its less likely to malfunction and mess up your pool by being old. But does cause you to have to by a new one.

I'm guessing you're already happy with your pump run time at 8 hours. At 8 hours run time and a 15K pool, the IC40 at 70% will deliver 2.6 PPM FC per day (a rough average of what people say their pool consumes). Obviously every pool is different.

I'd let the FC drop into my target range, and then set the SWC a bit high, maybe 80% or 90% and then observe. I use 70 ppm CYA and an FC range of 4 to 8 ppm FC. If the pool goes outside that range, I adjust, but otherwise I leave the SWC alone.

Keep in mind that there is no set formula. Run your swg with high enough fc to at least maintain. And your pump run only needs to be as long as possible to maintain your fc.
I run my system 8hours at 70 % with water temp at 90 or higher.
Main thing iis keep a clsoe watch on your fc. I yest minimum every other day

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just as many have said, there is no exact formula. A bit of tweaking will be needed to get it dialed in. The SWG is designed to maintain a properly chlorinated pool. Clearly, yours is capable of maintaining. I built a spreadsheet which can help get you in the ballpark regarding production. Here is a PDF with the appropriate production filled in for the IC40, which is 1.40 lbs. of chlorine gas at 100% setting in 24 hours.

You can match your filter run time with the percentage setting and get an idea of how many ounces of chlorine are being produced. You can use the "Effects of adding chemicals" section near the bottom of the PoolMath after entering your pool volume at the top. A 2-3 ppm per day demand during the summer months is pretty typical. At least this will give you a good starting point.

You can always shut it off and once the level gets your target, you can fire it back up set at your ballpark settings. As needsajet pointed out, it's going to depend on what your desired filter run time is. I run my filter, just long enough to keep my water clear. For my pool, I run the filter for 5 hours and my set SWG at 75%, but my pool doesn't get full sun all day nor does it have a high bather load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.