Hayward H350 problems

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have the above gas pool heater and I'm having some trouble getting it to work properly this spring.

I have electronic ignition. When I started it this spring, I followed the instructions carefully - I put the Mode in Standby, turned on the gas, set the switch to ON and the heater ignited no problem and got the pool up to 81 degrees.

Now, I am having trouble getting it to operate in spa mode. I have a remote switch and I know that the heater has to be in Standby mode to operate. But, I press the Mode button and it does nothing. So I shut everything down and started it again. But this time, the startup procedure doesn't work since I can't get the mode into Standby. The mode is stuck in Pool and it seems to be heating the pool just fine.

Any ideas are appreciated. I called my installer but he is very busy and I have no idea when he will be arriving. I'm hoping I can resolve this before he even shows up.

Also, a couple of newbie questions.

- I assume there is no pilot since I have electronic ignition. Why does my on/off button still have the ability to depress like a manual pilot ignitor? Is there any purpose to depressing the button?

- When I press the temperature buttons, the numbers flash. Any meaning to the flashing?

Done.

I also read the heater manual from front to back last night so my two newbie questions are answered. I guess I should have done that before posting. However, my mode problem persists.

Also, when I turn off the power toggle, nothing happens. The heater continues to function. To turn off the power, I have to flip the breaker.

See "Hayward 400 Ignition Problems"....I was lucky to find this post after trouble shooting most of the heater. It sounds like the Haywards are good for one or two years, then the electronic controls are shot. Like in the other post, mine was fine, then had trouble changing the temp, then temp would not change at all, now igniter gets hot, but won't fire up to heat. I am just confused over whether just the first circuit board needs to change, or the igntion board, or both. Hope this helps you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.