Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Warning: "Diamond Clear Mega Shock" contains CYA!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Warning: "Diamond Clear Mega Shock" contains CYA!!!

Hello All:

Be careful with the product "Diamond Clear Mega Shock" by AMCO:

http://www.amcoincusa.com/mega-shock.html

This product contains CYA! I found out the hard way thinking that I was using a bleach-only product. My CYA level crept up from 75 to 100 in four weeks by SLAMing for opening the pool and the maintaining FC. Here is an excerpt from the correspondence with the manufacturer:

"...Our product contains a small amount of Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) but it's possible you might need some additional stabilizer if you notice the shock is being "eaten up" by the sun too quick. It's important to have good CYA levels to prevent just that..."

Back to 8.25% household bleach...

- Lutz
    30K gal, in-ground vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, 18" Hayward S310T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Warning: "Diamond Clear Mega Shock" contains CYA!!!

Thanks for the heads up! A liquid chlorine with CYA, that's a new one on me...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I find it very hard to believe that this product could contain any CYA at all. The combination of high hypochlorite content (10-15%) coupled with the high pH (~12) needed to stabilize the hypochlorite ion would literally destroy any organic compound in solution with it. I guess you have to take the manufacturer at their word but it really seems implausible to me that there could be any measurable increase in CYA from using this product. From this thread, the reaction is as follows -

2(HNCO)3 + 9ClO- ---> 3N2 + 6CO2 + 9Cl- + 3H2O
    Cyanuric Acid + Hypochlorite Ion --> Nitrogen Gas + Carbon Dioxide + Chloride Ion + Water

So it seems to me that if they did indeed add any CYA, it would be converted into salt, CO2 and nitrogen gas fairly quickly.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that this product could contain any CYA at all. The combination of high hypochlorite content (10-15%) coupled with the high pH (~12) needed to stabilize the hypochlorite ion would literally destroy any organic compound in solution with it. I guess you have to take the manufacturer at their word but it really seems implausible to me that there could be any measurable increase in CYA from using this product. From this thread, the reaction is as follows -

2(HNCO)3 + 9ClO- ---> 3N2 + 6CO2 + 9Cl- + 3H2O
    Cyanuric Acid + Hypochlorite Ion --> Nitrogen Gas + Carbon Dioxide + Chloride Ion + Water

So it seems to me that if they did indeed any CYA, it would be converted into salt, CO2 and nitrogen gas fairly quickly.
    I couldn't find any mention of it skimming the link to the MSDS sheet on their site.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Nope. No CYA mentioned in the MSDS.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmm, I don't think CYA needs to be reported in safety data sheets. Here are a couple of SDSs for trichloro tabs - no mention of CYA even though we know it's there.

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenew...4_15_49_PM.pdf

http://kik-sds.thewercs.com/private/...ion=d__~value~

The reaction shown above seems convincing that CYA cannot survive in a hypochlorite solution...I will contact AMCO again and see if I can get past the sales person and talk to a tech person.

- Lutz
    30K gal, in-ground vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, 18" Hayward S310T sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It is part of the chemical compound

Trichloroisocyanuric acid
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, this is a common misconception - there is no physical quantity of CYA in dichlor and trichlor because dichlor and trichlor are chlorinated cyanurates, i.e., they are themselves a form of cyanuric acid. I realize this can be confusing to understand if your not familiar with the detailed chemistry of cyanurates but CYA, dichlor and trichlor are all versions of triazine-trione ring compound.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

You learn something new every day

I've got a call into AMCO to see what the deal is with 'mega shock'...I will post my findings.

10. Back To Top    #10

The employee of the manufacturer is probably wrong. Hypochlorite and cyanuric acid can produce nitrogen trichloride, an unstable and explosive gas.

Incompatible Materials: Iron, copper, nickel, cobalt, acids, ammonium or other nitrogen containing compounds, organics…
    -From the MSDS
    CYA is an organic, nitrogen containing compound.

If the product contained cyanuric acid, it would be in the SDS (new name for MSDS).

I can pretty much assure you that there is no way sodium hypochlorite would or could contain cyanuric acid.

Sodium hydroxide is added as a stabilizer. That is probably the “Stabilizer” that they are referring to.

11. Back To Top    #11

Every msds I've ever looked at has always shown CYA if there was any.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

The reaction of an isocyanurate with hypochlorite can result in rapid formation of nitrogen trichloride, which at high enough concentrations will detonate spontaneously with great violence.
    https://www.taylortechnologies.com/C...P?ContentID=73
    See the above reference.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I've used 5 or 6 gallons in my pool so far and see no noticeable rise in CYA.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I verified my CYA levels yesterday and they have actually dropped a bit from splashout/topoff/rain.

That fact, & no listing of CYA in the SDS seems to prove that the person you spoke with is miss-informed, and spreading that miss-information.

I also had a look around their website, their 'directions' for the product leave a lot to be desired.....

http://www.amcoincusa.com/directions.html

"Opening" Step 10
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO, INC
    If you notice your pool water still having a slight green tint, apply Diamond Clear Algaecide to remove the algae in your pool water and prevent more from growing
    Hmm, well that may be half right.....

"Opening" Step 12
    This cloudiness is due to all the dead bacteria floating around
    I didn't think you could see bacteria with your naked eye, dead or alive?

"Maintaining a clean, clear and safe pool" Point 3
    Algae can arise from high temperatures, rain water, kids running from the grass into the pool and many other factors
    Hmm... there's that urban legend..... rain makes algae bloom ...... and the high temps make algae spores immune to chlorine???

Then there is the "Before & After" picture:
    D-Shock.jpg

How did they get every shadow to fall in the exact same spot for both pictures?

Then it appears that they had Mother Nature line the clouds back up exactly the same as well.......... how nice of her.

Looks like another green pool cleared with Photoshop brand sanitizer .........

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

maybe it just works incredibly quickly lol
    26ft x 13 ft 11000 US gallon inground vinyl lined pool, Triton TR60 sand filter, Pentair 1hp pump, poolexactZ photometer tester, From May to October 90 degrees and above pool in sun all day

16. Back To Top    #16

What a scam
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lhh View Post
    You learn something new every day

I've got a call into AMCO to see what the deal is with 'mega shock'...I will post my findings.
    Did they ever bother to return your call?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Looks like another green pool cleared with Photoshop brand sanitizer .........
    That's soooo bad! Look at the coping on the lower-left edge of the green pool, especially the corner by the ladder - it's not even straight!
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

It's sad when company reps don't know their own products!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!