Bottom drain low pressure expected when fed into skimmer?

scader

Jul 3, 2016
Overland Park, KS
Is lower pressure from the bottom drain expected if it feeds into the skimmer? I took off the cover, and couldn't feel much pressure when pressing my palm against the side-facing drain pipe. Maybe this is just enough to do the job without a safety risk, but wanted to confirm if I should look into a larger issue.

I was told I could typically brush minor dirt towards the bottom skimmer, rather than getting the vacuum out, but it seems to just re-settle without getting sucked into the drain (for the most part).

Thanks for the response. I believe you're suggesting that that I close off the skimmer line at/near the pump, but I don't have multiple lines to the pump. The bottom drain feeds into the skimmer area, then the skimmer feeds into the pump.

Please let me know if I'm miss-interpreting your suggestion.

Do you have a skimmer diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer?
Something similar to this: Amazon.com: Hayward SP1070FV Float Valve Assembly: Patio, Lawn Garden
I think they are manufacturer specific as to size. You should be able to determine the manufacturer by looking at the bottom of the skimmer cover.

There is a small plate on the bottom of the diverter that regulates flow rates between the skimmer and the main drain. The more closed it is that more it pulls from the main drain.

BTW - it's not at all safe to remove the main drain cover and put any body parts close to it with the pump running. You could become entrapped and drown.

If you don't have a diverter maybe you can temporarily block the top skimmers with a piece of plastic to see if the bottom drain intake increases. I have never seen a setup like that. My bottom drain runs to the pump where it meets the skimmer return. I than can control each with a valve. I keep the bottom drain just cracked open to give the skimmer more water intake.
Good luck

The float assembly is made so that it will close if the pool water level goes below the skimmer intake. The pump will then draw water from the port on the skimmer box that is plumbed to your main drain. If you block the skimmer throat, I believe the skimmer will drain down and then suck air. The float assembly is made to seal so there's enough suction to pull the water through the main drain line. It's also adjustable as proavia mentioned, so that you can adjust the balance between skimming and main drain when the skimmer is operating normally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.