Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

Tito_cen

Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
El Paso, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok guys I received this kit yesterday and I barely did all the tests and need some help...

My calcium hardness is 725 (i tested twice)
My FC is 4.5 also tested twice
(My water does not get clear, but cloudy)

My CC is either 0 or .5 it stayed pretty clear but an extra drop of r-871 turned it a bit clearer or grey in my test

My TA is either 130 or 140 130 was slightly red and 140 was really red

My CYA is my other concern i cant even test it, i stop seeing blue dot before 100 here is a pic

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

f070cab8efb04b277f8cd95cca5ceb10.jpg

8700f9c589aab64222293691919b7591.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you did everything correctly. On the chlorine test what you are is looking for is the color shift from pink to clear not necessarily crystal clear water sample. The test is done when there no more color shift with an added drop then subtract that last drop. See this link for extended test kit instructions

Extended Test Kit Directions

You'll find directions there for doing the CYA test with a diluted sample. I'd try that.

How do you chlorinate your water?

Sounds like you did everything correctly. On the chlorine test what you are is looking for is the color shift from pink to clear not necessarily crystal clear water sample. The test is done when there no more color shift with an added drop then subtract that last drop. See this link for extended test kit instructions

Extended Test Kit Directions

You'll find directions there for doing the CYA test with a diluted sample. I'd try that.

How do you chlorinate your water?

What i just did that I read on another thread is i put 7.5ml of distilled water and 7.5ml of pool water which fills it right to the bottom of the label, then added the r-0013 to the top of the label and got 95 on CYA test, does that mean i have 190 CYA? My calcium is super high as well, i just started caring for my fathers pool last week before that we went by what store told us. Which was to always leave tablets full on container, add granular bleach and shock often.

Since finding this forum, I have been using great value 6% bleach to chlorinate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes.....190 sounds correct. Chlorinating constantly with tablets would get you there with the CYA.

Sounds like a good water exchange is in your near future. It will make everything much easier to manage.

VERY well done! If you have been reading (and it sounds like you have been) you know what is next......drain. You have to get that CYA and CH down. The cheapest way to get it down is to drain.

Have you played with Pool Math yet? Look up at the top of the page for the link. Put in all of your numbers and it will tell you how much you need to drain. Talk to us BEFORE you commit to the drain so we can double check your numbers and such.

The pool $tore strikes again :( I am so sorry BUT we can help you fix the pool and keep you from every having to go back to the P$.

:hug: we got this!

Kim:cat:

VERY well done! If you have been reading (and it sounds like you have been) you know what is next......drain. You have to get that CYA and CH down. The cheapest way to get it down is to drain.

Have you played with Pool Math yet? Look up at the top of the page for the link. Put in all of your numbers and it will tell you how much you need to drain. Talk to us BEFORE you commit to the drain so we can double check your numbers and such.

The pool $tore strikes again :( I am so sorry BUT we can help you fix the pool and keep you from every having to go back to the P$.

Kimcat thank you, yes i have been reading and reading and poolcalc says to replace 84% of my water on cya part to get to 30 and 66% on ch to get to 250 so thats pretty much all of it, of course i have yet to test tap water to see ch levels.

Unfortunately before i found this forum i even asked pool store owner do i need to drain my water since cya is so high and ch and he said no thats fine and i said should i stop using tablets he said no make sure you always have at least 4...of course beleiving him i spent 100 on 45lbs of tablets >:-|

Kimcat thank you, yes i have been reading and reading and poolcalc says to replace 84% of my water on cya part to get to 30 and 66% on ch to get to 250 so thats pretty much all of it, of course i have yet to test tap water to see ch levels.

Unfortunately before i found this forum i even asked pool store owner do i need to drain my water since cya is so high and ch and he said no thats fine and i said should i stop using tablets he said no make sure you always have at least 4...of course beleiving him i spent 100 on 45lbs of tablets >:-|

Ideally if we mantained pool w proper chemicals, no tablets and keeping fc levels and ph levels where they should be how long should the water last?

Sorry you got such advice from the pool store.

As kimkats said, clearly you've done your homework :)

As far as how long will water last.......do you mean until it would require replacement? If so, as long as you keep everything in check, forever.

Sorry you got such advice from the pool store.

As kimkats said, clearly you've done your homework :)

As far as how long will water last.......do you mean until it would require replacement? If so, as long as you keep everything in check, forever.

Ok yes thats exactly what i meant! Thank you!

Stupid q but what raises ch and cya? I see tablets what else? To make sure i keep from
Doing that after we refill

Fill water can be higher in CH in different parts of the country and I would reccomend you do test your fill water so you know since the pool has high CH. But, chlorinating with calcium hypochlorite can raise CH too. CYA should not exist in any fill water. CYA is in dichlor and tri-chlor........essentially other dry chlorine products (pucks and granular) that aren't stabilized by calcium like calcium hypochlorite. Some CYA is necessary in a pool as it is your friend in the right amount.

So as you've already learned using liquid chlorine is your best maintence alternative. Dry products are stabilized by "something" either CYA or calcium.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if im ever to shock the pool do you not reccomens calcium hypochlorite? What is reccomended thanks for all thr answeres AimeeH

We would reccomend liquid chlorine. Products that are called "shock" are just another chlorine product. If the pool requires a cleanup (shock) we call that SLAM because it's really a process to clear a pool, not a product.

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

It's a process of MAINTAINING you chlorine at shock level for your CYA level until you pass three tests

1 clear water
2 overnight free chlorine loss of 1 or less
3 CC of .5 or less

That's how you clear up an algea bloom or even a green swamp for that matter. Not with a product called "shock"

Of course.......that is not what the pool store will tell you.

We would reccomend liquid chlorine. Products that are called "shock" are just another chlorine product. If the pool requires a cleanup (shock) we call that SLAM because it's really a process to clear a pool, not a product.

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

It's a process of MAINTAINING you chlorine at shock level for your CYA level until you pass three tests

1 clear water
2 overnight free chlorine loss of 1 or less
3 CC of .5 or less

That's how you clear up an algea bloom or even a green swamp for that matter. Not with a product called "shock"

Of course.......that is not what the pool store will tell you.

LOL yes i read the slam procedure! So i can achieve the slam process with liquid bleach. Got it thank you glad i joined, and upset i have spent 300 in chemicals i cant return and will not ever use!

Well now you're here and not blindly following pool store advice. Store those chemicals well and you may be able to use them down the road. It's not necessarily that not ever using those chemicals is the rule but knowing and understanding what you're adding and why.

Keep reading in pool school and check out pool math as kimkats mentioned......there is a place at the very bottom where you can calculate the effects of adding various chemicals to your water. That might help with a better understanding of how much CYA those pucks add when you're using them.

You won't find any shortage of knowledgeable folks here to answer your questions as you go.

Well now you're here and not blindly following pool store advice. Store those chemicals well and you may be able to use them down the road. It's not necessarily that not ever using those chemicals is the rule but knowing and understanding what you're adding and why.

Keep reading in pool school and check out pool math as kimkats mentioned......there is a place at the very bottom where you can calculate the effects of adding various chemicals to your water. That might help with a better understanding of how much CYA those pucks add when you're using them.

You won't find any shortage of knowledgeable folks here to answer your questions as you go.

Thank you very much! Might start my own pool cleaning next yr since the few people that do it in my city are linked to stores! Lol

The tablets can be used for weekend get aways or vacations.

You can also sell your stuff on C-list if you really want to. I WOULD hold onto some of the tablets just to have if needed.

In fact list what you have and we will be able to tell you if you might need it down the road.

I am going to give the the links I share with new pool owners. This will get you linked up to all of major things you need to keep your water looking like a jewel :sun:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

The tablets can be used for weekend get aways or vacations.

You can also sell your stuff on C-list if you really want to. I WOULD hold onto some of the tablets just to have if needed.

In fact list what you have and we will be able to tell you if you might need it down the road.

I am going to give the the links I share with new pool owners. This will get you linked up to all of major things you need to keep your water looking like a jewel :sun:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

I have a brand new container of tablets 45lbs of trichloro-s-triazinetrione

5lbs of alkalinity increaser my dad called me an idiot for spending 15 bucks on it lol

12 one lb calcium hypochlorite packs

One gallon that says transchem brand 20 baume hydrochloric and 31.45% acid

Around 20lbs of granular caclium hypochlorite 65%

Thats all i can find!

What chemicals are a must have, that I can buy say at wal-mart?

And what do i need to get from pool store?

Thank you :)

I have a brand new container of tablets 45lbs of trichloro-s-triazinetrioneCan you take this back? If so do. If not you can hold on to them and know you have a lifetime supply for long weekends get aways and vacations.

5lbs of alkalinity increaser my dad called me an idiot for spending 15 bucks on it lol It is just baking soda. It can be had a Walmart or Sams

12 one lb calcium hypochlorite packs Again, can you take these back? If not maybe see about selling them on C-list

One gallon that says transchem brand 20 baume hydrochloric and 31.45% acid Keep this one! It is muriatic acid. You will use it to lower PH on a as needed bases.

Around 20lbs of granular caclium hypochlorite 65% This is the same as the packs up above just in a big bucket instead of little packs-return or sell

Thats all i can find!

What chemicals are a must have, that I can buy say at wal-mart?

Look at my post above. See the link that says "Recommended chemicals"? That will tell you what you can use for each thing and where you can buy it. Do NOT go out and buy any of it unless you need it as seen by your testing.

And what do i need to get from pool store? Nothing! Oh happy day! Everything you need can be found at Walmart and Lowes for a MUCH cheaper price!

Thank you :)

You will see my answers in purple above.

Ask ANY and all questions you have! I have asked the same one over time I assure you!

You will see my answers in purple above.

Ask ANY and all questions you have! I have asked the same one over time I assure you!

I am so thankful, it may not look it but we have owned this pool since 2006, yet i have learned more in a few days that i havein 10 yrs of going to pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.