Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Ok guys I received this kit yesterday and I barely did all the tests and need some help...


    My calcium hardness is 725 (i tested twice)
    My FC is 4.5 also tested twice
    (My water does not get clear, but cloudy)

    My CC is either 0 or .5 it stayed pretty clear but an extra drop of r-871 turned it a bit clearer or grey in my test

    My TA is either 130 or 140 130 was slightly red and 140 was really red

    My CYA is my other concern i cant even test it, i stop seeing blue dot before 100 here is a pic

    Any advice is greatly appreciated!







  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Sounds like you did everything correctly. On the chlorine test what you are is looking for is the color shift from pink to clear not necessarily crystal clear water sample. The test is done when there no more color shift with an added drop then subtract that last drop. See this link for extended test kit instructions

    Extended Test Kit Directions

    You'll find directions there for doing the CYA test with a diluted sample. I'd try that.

    How do you chlorinate your water?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Sounds like you did everything correctly. On the chlorine test what you are is looking for is the color shift from pink to clear not necessarily crystal clear water sample. The test is done when there no more color shift with an added drop then subtract that last drop. See this link for extended test kit instructions

    Extended Test Kit Directions

    You'll find directions there for doing the CYA test with a diluted sample. I'd try that.

    How do you chlorinate your water?
    What i just did that I read on another thread is i put 7.5ml of distilled water and 7.5ml of pool water which fills it right to the bottom of the label, then added the r-0013 to the top of the label and got 95 on CYA test, does that mean i have 190 CYA? My calcium is super high as well, i just started caring for my fathers pool last week before that we went by what store told us. Which was to always leave tablets full on container, add granular bleach and shock often.

    Since finding this forum, I have been using great value 6% bleach to chlorinate.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!



  4. Back To Top    #4

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Yes.....190 sounds correct. Chlorinating constantly with tablets would get you there with the CYA.

    Sounds like a good water exchange is in your near future. It will make everything much easier to manage.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,678

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    VERY well done! If you have been reading (and it sounds like you have been) you know what is next......drain. You have to get that CYA and CH down. The cheapest way to get it down is to drain.

    Have you played with Pool Math yet? Look up at the top of the page for the link. Put in all of your numbers and it will tell you how much you need to drain. Talk to us BEFORE you commit to the drain so we can double check your numbers and such.

    The pool $tore strikes again I am so sorry BUT we can help you fix the pool and keep you from every having to go back to the P$.

    we got this!

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    VERY well done! If you have been reading (and it sounds like you have been) you know what is next......drain. You have to get that CYA and CH down. The cheapest way to get it down is to drain.

    Have you played with Pool Math yet? Look up at the top of the page for the link. Put in all of your numbers and it will tell you how much you need to drain. Talk to us BEFORE you commit to the drain so we can double check your numbers and such.

    The pool $tore strikes again I am so sorry BUT we can help you fix the pool and keep you from every having to go back to the P$.

    we got this!

    Kim
    Kimcat thank you, yes i have been reading and reading and poolcalc says to replace 84% of my water on cya part to get to 30 and 66% on ch to get to 250 so thats pretty much all of it, of course i have yet to test tap water to see ch levels.

    Unfortunately before i found this forum i even asked pool store owner do i need to drain my water since cya is so high and ch and he said no thats fine and i said should i stop using tablets he said no make sure you always have at least 4...of course beleiving him i spent 100 on 45lbs of tablets >



  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by hcenteno21 View Post
    Kimcat thank you, yes i have been reading and reading and poolcalc says to replace 84% of my water on cya part to get to 30 and 66% on ch to get to 250 so thats pretty much all of it, of course i have yet to test tap water to see ch levels.

    Unfortunately before i found this forum i even asked pool store owner do i need to drain my water since cya is so high and ch and he said no thats fine and i said should i stop using tablets he said no make sure you always have at least 4...of course beleiving him i spent 100 on 45lbs of tablets >


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ideally if we mantained pool w proper chemicals, no tablets and keeping fc levels and ph levels where they should be how long should the water last?



  8. Back To Top    #8

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Sorry you got such advice from the pool store.

    As kimkats said, clearly you've done your homework

    As far as how long will water last.......do you mean until it would require replacement? If so, as long as you keep everything in check, forever.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Sorry you got such advice from the pool store.

    As kimkats said, clearly you've done your homework

    As far as how long will water last.......do you mean until it would require replacement? If so, as long as you keep everything in check, forever.
    Ok yes thats exactly what i meant! Thank you!

    Stupid q but what raises ch and cya? I see tablets what else? To make sure i keep from
    Doing that after we refill



  10. Back To Top    #10

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Fill water can be higher in CH in different parts of the country and I would reccomend you do test your fill water so you know since the pool has high CH. But, chlorinating with calcium hypochlorite can raise CH too. CYA should not exist in any fill water. CYA is in dichlor and tri-chlor........essentially other dry chlorine products (pucks and granular) that aren't stabilized by calcium like calcium hypochlorite. Some CYA is necessary in a pool as it is your friend in the right amount.

    So as you've already learned using liquid chlorine is your best maintence alternative. Dry products are stabilized by "something" either CYA or calcium.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    So if im ever to shock the pool do you not reccomens calcium hypochlorite? What is reccomended thanks for all thr answeres AimeeH



  12. Back To Top    #12

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    We would reccomend liquid chlorine. Products that are called "shock" are just another chlorine product. If the pool requires a cleanup (shock) we call that SLAM because it's really a process to clear a pool, not a product.

    Shock
    Level
    And
    Maintain

    It's a process of MAINTAINING you chlorine at shock level for your CYA level until you pass three tests

    1 clear water
    2 overnight free chlorine loss of 1 or less
    3 CC of .5 or less

    That's how you clear up an algea bloom or even a green swamp for that matter. Not with a product called "shock"

    Of course.......that is not what the pool store will tell you.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    We would reccomend liquid chlorine. Products that are called "shock" are just another chlorine product. If the pool requires a cleanup (shock) we call that SLAM because it's really a process to clear a pool, not a product.

    Shock
    Level
    And
    Maintain

    It's a process of MAINTAINING you chlorine at shock level for your CYA level until you pass three tests

    1 clear water
    2 overnight free chlorine loss of 1 or less
    3 CC of .5 or less

    That's how you clear up an algea bloom or even a green swamp for that matter. Not with a product called "shock"

    Of course.......that is not what the pool store will tell you.
    LOL yes i read the slam procedure! So i can achieve the slam process with liquid bleach. Got it thank you glad i joined, and upset i have spent 300 in chemicals i cant return and will not ever use!



  14. Back To Top    #14

    TFP Guide

    AimeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbia SC
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Well now you're here and not blindly following pool store advice. Store those chemicals well and you may be able to use them down the road. It's not necessarily that not ever using those chemicals is the rule but knowing and understanding what you're adding and why.

    Keep reading in pool school and check out pool math as kimkats mentioned......there is a place at the very bottom where you can calculate the effects of adding various chemicals to your water. That might help with a better understanding of how much CYA those pucks add when you're using them.

    You won't find any shortage of knowledgeable folks here to answer your questions as you go.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Well now you're here and not blindly following pool store advice. Store those chemicals well and you may be able to use them down the road. It's not necessarily that not ever using those chemicals is the rule but knowing and understanding what you're adding and why.

    Keep reading in pool school and check out pool math as kimkats mentioned......there is a place at the very bottom where you can calculate the effects of adding various chemicals to your water. That might help with a better understanding of how much CYA those pucks add when you're using them.

    You won't find any shortage of knowledgeable folks here to answer your questions as you go.
    Thank you very much! Might start my own pool cleaning next yr since the few people that do it in my city are linked to stores! Lol



  16. Back To Top    #16
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,678

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    The tablets can be used for weekend get aways or vacations.

    You can also sell your stuff on C-list if you really want to. I WOULD hold onto some of the tablets just to have if needed.

    In fact list what you have and we will be able to tell you if you might need it down the road.

    I am going to give the the links I share with new pool owners. This will get you linked up to all of major things you need to keep your water looking like a jewel

    Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

    Pool School - Recommended Levels

    Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

    Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

    we got this!

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    The tablets can be used for weekend get aways or vacations.

    You can also sell your stuff on C-list if you really want to. I WOULD hold onto some of the tablets just to have if needed.

    In fact list what you have and we will be able to tell you if you might need it down the road.

    I am going to give the the links I share with new pool owners. This will get you linked up to all of major things you need to keep your water looking like a jewel

    Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

    Pool School - Recommended Levels

    Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

    Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

    we got this!

    Kim
    I have a brand new container of tablets 45lbs of trichloro-s-triazinetrione

    5lbs of alkalinity increaser my dad called me an idiot for spending 15 bucks on it lol

    12 one lb calcium hypochlorite packs

    One gallon that says transchem brand 20 baume hydrochloric and 31.45% acid

    Around 20lbs of granular caclium hypochlorite 65%

    Thats all i can find!

    What chemicals are a must have, that I can buy say at wal-mart?

    And what do i need to get from pool store?

    Thank you (:



  18. Back To Top    #18
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,678

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by hcenteno21 View Post
    I have a brand new container of tablets 45lbs of trichloro-s-triazinetrioneCan you take this back? If so do. If not you can hold on to them and know you have a lifetime supply for long weekends get aways and vacations.

    5lbs of alkalinity increaser my dad called me an idiot for spending 15 bucks on it lol It is just baking soda. It can be had a Walmart or Sams

    12 one lb calcium hypochlorite packs Again, can you take these back? If not maybe see about selling them on C-list

    One gallon that says transchem brand 20 baume hydrochloric and 31.45% acid Keep this one! It is muriatic acid. You will use it to lower PH on a as needed bases.

    Around 20lbs of granular caclium hypochlorite 65% This is the same as the packs up above just in a big bucket instead of little packs-return or sell

    Thats all i can find!

    What chemicals are a must have, that I can buy say at wal-mart?

    Look at my post above. See the link that says "Recommended chemicals"? That will tell you what you can use for each thing and where you can buy it. Do NOT go out and buy any of it unless you need it as seen by your testing.

    And what do i need to get from pool store? Nothing! Oh happy day! Everything you need can be found at Walmart and Lowes for a MUCH cheaper price!

    Thank you (:

    You will see my answers in purple above.

    Ask ANY and all questions you have! I have asked the same one over time I assure you!

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    38

    Re: Just got my tf-100 kit, here are my results...

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You will see my answers in purple above.

    Ask ANY and all questions you have! I have asked the same one over time I assure you!

    Kim
    I am so thankful, it may not look it but we have owned this pool since 2006, yet i have learned more in a few days that i havein 10 yrs of going to pool store.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •