Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear water with algae in bottom of pool every morning, help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear water with algae in bottom of pool every morning, help!

I'm in my third year with BBB and the water tests and looks great. But, every morning the is algae sediment in the bottom of the pool. Any ideas what I need to be checking or doing? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    13,500 gal, installed 2006, vinyl, 24' round, AG - sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Lower NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear water with algae in bottom of pool every morning, help!

I supposed the first thing we should do is evaluate your TF-100 water test results. From there we may ask a few ore questions to see if what you have is indeed algae or perhaps something else.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for replying, I have ph of 7.5, FC 3.0, CC 0, TC 3.0, TA 90, CA 180 and CYA is at 45.
    13,500 gal, installed 2006, vinyl, 24' round, AG - sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Lower NC

4. Back To Top    #4

Your FC is low. Round CYA to 50 and keep it at target. Never let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary.

For now, the next step it to kill the algae following this process, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pooldv - it doesnt matter if his CYA is at 50 or 100 as long as he reaches chlorine above 10 through shocking it will start killing algea.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Pooldv - it doesn't matter if his CYA is at 50 or 100 as long as he reaches chlorine above 10 through shocking it will start killing algea.
    Well, that is just incorrect. The effectiveness of chlorine is dependent upon the CYA level.

PoolboyQ101,
    Please read a bit more of what we teach and you will find the FC/CYA relationship is a cornerstone of our pool care.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PoolBoyQ101 View Post
    Pooldv - it doesnt matter if his CYA is at 50 or 100 as long as he reaches chlorine above 10 through shocking it will start killing algea.
    Nothing could be more false than this statement. There is sound science behind the relationship of CYA and chlorine.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

I had/have the same thing going on. My FC was actually higher than yours but my CC was at 1. I had visible algae and the water was crystal clear. I had just had a bout with algae about 3 weeks ago and figure I didn't get it killed off so I upped to shock and will be stepping up to Mustard Algae shock level. Something else I found is that my plastic ladder while looking clean on the outside had a wonderful amount algae growing in it. I took it apart, bought a brush and cleaned the inside of the tubes. Take a look around at places where the algae can hide and not come in direct contact with the chlorine. I would think for your climate you would want your FC up in the 5-7 range wouldn't you?

Also, is the algae green or does it look sandy? I have read where people thought they had an algae problem and it turned out to be sand being put in the pool from an issue with the sand filter.
    30' AGP 18,500 GAL, Hayward C4025 4 cartridge filter, BBB Method

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, thanks for all the responses, I'm slamming!
    Lower NC

10. Back To Top    #10

Make sure you check your ladder. I was surprised how much algae was inside that thing when I took it apart. Be persistent and you'll get it.
    30' AGP 18,500 GAL, Hayward C4025 4 cartridge filter, BBB Method

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Once you startrt the SLAM brush all that stuff on the bottom up into the pool water. Better yet, vacuum it first and then brush whats left into the pool water. That'll help filter it out and allow the chlorine to kill any remaining algae.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School