Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Post

1. Back To Top    #1

First Post

Hello everyone. Name here is Frank. Received my TF-100 and have been using for about a month now. I have a 28,000 gal pool and have been using the 3-inch tabs forever along with granulated tri-chlor shock forever. After receiving my test kit found out my CyA was off the chart at about 170. Emptied half the water and refilled and now this is what I have:

C: 5-10
    PH: 7.5
    FC: 6.5
    CC: 0
    TA: 70
    CH: 275
    CYA: 80

I have now been using the BBB method. I believe I have to bump up the FC to around 9.0 as my CyA is so high. I will be adding Baking Soda to raise TA but unsure about CH level and if I need to do anything. Plaster pool. No algae at this point. I have always had a problem with algae blooms. But now that I have started the BBB method the algae has been eliminated. Any suggestions??? Am I moving in the right direction?

Thank you very much for this forum and site as I have found it to be very helpful

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Post

Hi Frank and welcome to TFP! As you know, keep the FC at that strong level to compensate for your elevated CYA (yes - around 9), but I would leave the TA alone for right now. Increasing TA might only give your pH reason to rise quicker. If the pH remains calm, leave the TA alone. CH and everything else looks good.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First Post

Thanks Texas Splash! OK - I won't mess with the TA but will keep the FC up around 9. Have a great 4th!!!