First, I'd like to say hello to everyone! I'm a longtime lurker and have learned a lot from this site and more importantly been able to help others from information on this site.
I'll start from the beginning of my battle. I went on vacation a few weeks ago and when I came home realized that I had some really nice green stuff on my walls. I proceeded to brush and then slam. With my FC at 4, CYA at 40, PH at 7.5 and TA at 150 (Yeah I know that's a good bit high and will address) the pool math calculator indicated a shock level of 16 so off I went adding the necessary amount of 10% liquid chlorine. The pool was cloudy for a day or so but I kept the pool at 16 for about 48 hours while brushing walls and floor. After 48 hours at shock level I swept all the nice dead algae off the floor with my vacuum. I then removed my cartridge filters and washed them (no bleach, just water... Mistake??) I allowed my FC to come down to where I keep my pool in the 4 to 5 range but I think my fatal mistake was not checking CC's. The water was clear, I was only using about 1/3 gallon daily to keep the pool at my desired FC level. All was good... right? Wrong. I went out this morning and found green on my walls and what appeared to be sand on the floor but I'm thinking it's actually Mustard Algae. So it's back up to 16 and then up again to 24 to try and kill it off.
My question here is, should I be removing my filters and soaking in a highly chlorinated solution after I rinse to kill the algae or should I just leave them in, keep the levels at 24, sweep, clean filters and reinstall while levels are at shock for mustard?
My levels today with all tests taken using TF-50 Kit
CC- 1 (ouch!)
I did recently add some pool salt to try and help with skin dryness my kids are experiencing. I'm waiting on test strips to check salt but added 80 lbs as a start with a plan of going up to about 200 lbs if necessary to soften the water.
Thanks for any input on this.