Pool heater

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
Hopefully I'm in the correct forum. My pool heater which is electric started yesterday and sounded like a very loud wood chipper. I quickly turned off the breaker. The fan was moving and I didn't see that it made contact with anything. The fan however did wobble somewhat on the motor shaft and taking it apart ( fan from motor ) I couldn't see how it could be tightened up any, it wouldn't snug up any more than what the set screw was set for. So as of right now I suspect the motor, am I correct??

Thanks

It sounds like this is a heat pump. I would call an HVAC guy out to take a look. Sometimes those noisy fixes are easy fixes. It is also probably time to check the refrigerant level and make sure everything is in good shape.

FYI. I did run the heater for 30 seconds without the motor and fan and all is 100% quiet. The set piece under the fan with set screw and the ring on opposite side has slack making the fan loose or wobble. I'll take both fan and motor to a small motor repair shop on Tuesday.
At the bottom of the enclosure I see a soda can size container that sits over a copper tubing that has a crack, I'll post a picture later or tomorrow. Will power wash the unit while it's open. It is going on 8 years old

Don't power wash the fins in the unit you will destroy them. If you are dead set on cleaning them get some condenser coil cleaning solution and gently spray it and and gently wash it off with a garden hose. It's a good catch on the fan motor that should be an easy fix. And you will be back to the quiet operation you had before. If it's anything like mine that's very quiet.

Just dropped off the fan motor and fan. The play in the fan was the primary source of the noise but there is play in the motor shaft ( up and down but not side to side ). So new fan and the motor will be serviced. Not sure if one caused the other

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.