Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals/pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Chemicals/pool heater

I'm wanting to lower my alkalinity in my pool, I'm getting there slowly but surely. When doing this, I'm not running my pool heater (this is our 1st and new heater, new to me). My husband is wanting to get into the pool and wants the water to warm up, so the heater is on. Can I add chemicals to my pool water to continue to lower my alkalinity while the heater is turned on, or will I do damage to the heater by doing so?
    Intex Ultra frame 16'x48" above ground; Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model# CG-28669; Hayward H100ID1 gas pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemicals/pool heater

Yes you can add chemicals to your pool when your heater is on. Pour them in front of one of the returns and not into the skimmer.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chemicals/pool heater

Thank you wjr75 for the response and answer, greatly appreciated!
    Intex Ultra frame 16'x48" above ground; Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model# CG-28669; Hayward H100ID1 gas pool heater.