Can I lower PH enough to remove white scaling on plaster?

May 26, 2009
Is it possible to do the following:

1. My pool has been shocked but still has algae. However, we had a "pool company" come for a about a month and work to get the pool clear and leaves out. They were inconsistent in their visits and finally drained the pool. I noticed that the pool plaster was completely white when they drained the pool. At this time, it should have been acid washed -- but they were so flagrant in their sloppy work that they just filled the pool back up. Now I have algae and white plaster. Is it possible that I could turn off the pump and add enough muriatic acid to dissolve the scale using this process?

1. Add 4 gallons muriatic acid per 10,000 gallons. This will dissolve the plaster dust without brushing.
2. Brush daily but don't vacuum or add chlorine until plaster dust is gone. For dark plaster only brush lighter colored or white areas.
3. When all plaster dust is gone neutralize the acid with soda ash by using a base demand test, wait 24 hours and repeat if needed.
4. Turn on circulation system when pH is 7.2 or above, clean filter when the pressure increases 10 psi, add sanitizer in small amounts until desired level is obtained.

Or if not possible to get rid of the scale without an acid wash, live with my white pool this year and then acid wash next year?

Thanks,
AnninClyde

Welcome to TFP!

I don't quite follow what you are asking. You talk about the pool being completely white. That is what most people want their pool to be. Why do you say you have scaling? What is the pool supposed to look like?

The procedure you quoted is called an acid start, and is used for starting up with fresh plaster. There is a similar procedure, called a no-drain acid wash, that can occasionally remove scale but usually doesn't work. If you really need to remove scaling, a full drain and manual acid wash is usually the only thing that works.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. The pool is gunnite and is supposed to be a dark blue plaster. Now the plaster appears to be white. We do not have a heater and stained the pool when it was built a dark blue to attract warmth (Central Texas). This is our third summer for the pool. When it was installed, they did not give us good instructions on initial brushing and so it was never as dark as it was supposed to be. The second year we had them come out and do an acid wash and got the pool dark. This year they came out to clean out the leaves (we have oak tree nearby) and didn't get back out to finish the job but they added chemicals, so the pool water got to "cloudy" and they said they could not see the leaves so they drained most of the water out of the pool (without asking). Not all the water was drained. I noticed it was plaster looked very white but they started refilling and told us to call them when it was full and they would be back out. They did not come back and now I have green water and white sides. It sounds like I may just need to live with the scaling and white plaster until next year.

Currently my chemistry reads: 3.0 for chlorine; 6.2. on ph. I am heading into town to get a test kit that will give me more accurate readings rather than test strips. I will also get CYA, bleach (8 to 10%), and borax. I believe that I need to keep shocking the pool until I begin to see the algae begin to go (it turns cloudy and white when it goes, I think).

Anninclyde said:
Currently my chemistry reads: 3.0 for chlorine; 6.2. on ph. I am heading into town to get a test kit that will give me more accurate readings rather than test strips. I will also get CYA, bleach (8 to 10%), and borax. I believe that I need to keep shocking the pool until I begin to see the algae begin to go (it turns cloudy and white when it goes, I think).

It is unlikely you will find one of the recommended kits instores. Sometimes Leslie's carries the re-branded K-2006. You DO NOT want the K-2005, you need a kit with an FAS-DPD test. TF Testkists.net only sells online and you can also order from the Taylor website, or Leslies online.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.