Removing Venturi Jets

Illupo

Jul 3, 2016
Scottsdale
I have an in ground sp/pool, 1800 gallons with all Pentair equipment. It was installed in the mid '80s, so no information from the installer available. In the past few years, 3 of the 6 return jets have stopped working. I found an old post here that said the venturi jets are removable, but they are 10" inside the returns, so I cannot see what I am doing. With a long extention, I am able to get a 1/2 inch socket onto them, but I don't think they unscrew because they just spin. I am aware there is also a snap in variety, but how on earth would you get them out of the venturi tee???

Most jets are 9/16" which is bigger than what you tried. Are you sure the socket was not spinning on the outside of the jet?

The next size down is too small...cannot feel it engaging anything. I don't think the nuts are stripped...they have never been removed and the three I tried all do the same thing. I can't confirm they are even the screw in variety. I am thinking they are the snap in type and that they just spin around as I cannot see where to line them up to remove???

The only venturi jets nozzles that I have seen are screw types but that does not mean other types don't exist. But I have a hard time believing that they would not screw in because it would impossible to remove them.

There are nozzles that push in and turn to lock in. If your socket is tight turn a 1/4 ccw and see if it releases. Sometimes they also get glue on them from the original plumber and they need to be worked back and forth. If you get out but lose your hold on it turn on spa jets and it will blow out

Thanks! I did, in fact, get two of the 6 out and they are indeed the turn to lock variety. As I suspected, they are 1/2 inch, the "Balboa 1/2" venturi tee nozzles". I would have much preferred that they were the screw in variety and perhaps I rounded them off trying to turn them too much. I will keep working the rest of them until I get them out. Thanks to all who replied for the insight on this as even the pool guy I paid money to apparantly was not aware of the existence of these nozzles. When I got the two out, out shot a bunch of what look like rocks, but I think are rust particles from an old heater that used to be hooked up.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I found this via the google to double check my socket requirements. Nothing in my big kit would work. Had to pull the small kit (and every extension for 24”) to get at the 13/16 socket.
(Big set has more variation, deep 1/4 3/8 1/2 ratchets) Small kit only has 3/8 and luckily the 13/16.

I burned close to a half hour on this.

https://i.imgur.com/5QD9MFP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.