Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Venturi Jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing Venturi Jets

I have an in ground sp/pool, 1800 gallons with all Pentair equipment. It was installed in the mid '80s, so no information from the installer available. In the past few years, 3 of the 6 return jets have stopped working. I found an old post here that said the venturi jets are removable, but they are 10" inside the returns, so I cannot see what I am doing. With a long extention, I am able to get a 1/2 inch socket onto them, but I don't think they unscrew because they just spin. I am aware there is also a snap in variety, but how on earth would you get them out of the venturi tee???
    Inground 1800 gallon gunite spa/pool, installed mid 1980s.
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 4 cartridge filter Model CCP 240
    Pac Fab Challenger (High head, High flow) 1 1/2 HP pump
    One Jandy valve controlling automatic chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing Venturi Jets

Most jets are 9/16" which is bigger than what you tried. Are you sure the socket was not spinning on the outside of the jet?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. Tried 9/16" and it just spun on the "nut". With 1/2" I can "feel" it clamp on the "nut".

4. Back To Top    #4

Then what about the next size down, too small? The nut might be stripped.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The next size down is too small...cannot feel it engaging anything. I don't think the nuts are stripped...they have never been removed and the three I tried all do the same thing. I can't confirm they are even the screw in variety. I am thinking they are the snap in type and that they just spin around as I cannot see where to line them up to remove???

6. Back To Top    #6

The only venturi jets nozzles that I have seen are screw types but that does not mean other types don't exist. But I have a hard time believing that they would not screw in because it would impossible to remove them.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

There are nozzles that push in and turn to lock in. If your socket is tight turn a 1/4 ccw and see if it releases. Sometimes they also get glue on them from the original plumber and they need to be worked back and forth. If you get out but lose your hold on it turn on spa jets and it will blow out

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! I did, in fact, get two of the 6 out and they are indeed the turn to lock variety. As I suspected, they are 1/2 inch, the "Balboa 1/2" venturi tee nozzles". I would have much preferred that they were the screw in variety and perhaps I rounded them off trying to turn them too much. I will keep working the rest of them until I get them out. Thanks to all who replied for the insight on this as even the pool guy I paid money to apparantly was not aware of the existence of these nozzles. When I got the two out, out shot a bunch of what look like rocks, but I think are rust particles from an old heater that used to be hooked up.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the Industry

PoolTool Catalog- Manufacturer of specialty pool and spa tools This company makes a spa jet cleaning tool I believe part # 138. Sometimes you can work out the debris with it, without removing nozzles