Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you slam without a FAS-DPD Kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you slam without a FAS-DPD Kit?

I live in Cyprus and cannot get a FAS-DPD Kit here or delivered here. Is it possible to slam without one? I know I need to slam due the oclt, any help would be much appreciated.
    10300 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.
    9500 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you slam without a FAS-DPD Kit?

With no access to a FAS-DPD kit, your only option is to use dilution with distilled water. You would have to use the diluted test as an estimate and use a somewhat higher shock level to be sure you're at a high enough level.

You also need to know your CYA level to determine your shock level per Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Do you have a CYA test kit?
    Which chlorine test do you have?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

There are services where they will give you a US address to have an order shipped to, then they will forward the package to you internationally.

I've never used so I can't recommend a specific one, but a google "expatriate mail service" and companies such as this turn up: US Global Mail | US Mail Forwarding Service
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I did an Ebay search for "FAS-DPD" and it looks like some will ship. However, I changed my location to Cyprus and would have had a stroke if I really lived there. $60 for shipping on the couple I checked Pinguy's idea may work better, if you can find one.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies, had a look at the forwarding service but the price again is 60 dollars plus. I will just have to play it by ear and use the pool math calc to do it. I know the average FC loss so I will use that figure to determine how much chlorine to put in and put some extra in as well. I will do this until It passes the 3 criteria as stated on the SLAM page.
    10300 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.
    9500 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.