HELP passing OCLT

Jun 9, 2013
Laguna Niguel, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am still unable to pass OCLT despite running for 3 weeks now. My intention is to SLAM and then super chlorinate for mustard algae. I had a really bad bloom I could not get on top of for a long time. I have been through about 24 gallons of chlorine to this point. I'll post some more detailed numbers tomorrow as I have just added chems but is there any other possible cause of CL drop apart from organics or sunlight? Is there another option I could consider to rid myself of organics?

CYA: 50
FC: 6 down from 18 in 3 days but just added CL
CC: 0.5
PH 7.5

19000 gal, plaster pool. SoCal.

How much are you losing overnight? Are you testing before the sun is up? Have you checked all the nooks and crannies, and scrubbed there? Brushing regularly? How often per day are you able to test and dose? The more you don't let it fall below target, the sooner it ends. If you regularly fall well below, you are really maintaining the SLAM. The SLAM target for a CYA of 50 is 20.

3-5
30-45 mins after sun up
As much as possible I have scrubbed and scrubbed and brushed and scrubbed almost daily - sometime I miss a day. I have cleaned the cartridges once a week too.
I can only test and dose twice a day during the week but with the exception of the last few days, I have been at SLAM for about 2 straight weeks. The first week would drop way below really quickly due to all the algae.

Obviously the local dealer is pushing all sorts of chems but would it be worth considering removing the phos or is that another waste of time?

I did and a bit beyond.

I have had recurring mustard algae for over a year and could never commit to keeping on top of it. It was a multiple daily process. I went through gallons and gallons of chlorine, cleaned the cartridges half a dozen times, swept daily but, since then, no problems whatsoever. Its crystal clear, easy to maintain and the pool we always wanted. Another plus is that my arms and my (farmers) tan are looking pretty good too!

The advice/school on here has been invaluable. Thank you!

I did and a bit beyond.

I have had recurring mustard algae for over a year and could never commit to keeping on top of it. It was a multiple daily process. I went through gallons and gallons of chlorine, cleaned the cartridges half a dozen times, swept daily but, since then, no problems whatsoever. Its crystal clear, easy to maintain and the pool we always wanted. Another plus is that my arms and my (farmers) tan are looking pretty good too!

The advice/school on here has been invaluable. Thank you!

It only works if you follow it correctly! Congratulations in your TFP pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.