Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run pump for?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run pump for?

I've read most of the topics, and the more I read the more confused I get!

I have approximately a 14,000+ pool. I also have a 1.5hp pump ao smith centurion switchless motor (dont know what any of this means) i can't seem to find how much water it moves.

I read you are supposed to turn over your water once a day, others say a few hours, others say 1 hour per 10 degrees, others say split the time! Im so confused :/

Anyhow i was wondering i am in texas, 95-105 degrees. Should I run pump early, late or split it? Obviously I would add chemicals at night and run it 1-2 hrs? Then run it 6-8 during the daytime? Any help is greatly appreciated! I believe i have 2 1/2 inch piping by eye balling! Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run pump for?

IN most cases here you will find that pool "turnover" is irrelevant. What you hear at pool stores simply doesn't have significant bearing on the condition of the water aside from simply skimming the surface for debris. You run your pump long enough to simply adequately mix chemicals throughout the water and then to achieve a reasonable amount of surface debris remove to the skimmer(s). Of course you crank-up the pump higher for other operations like vacuuming, SWG, solar, etc. All of these things vary from pool-to-pool. so experimenting with your pool is key. Try these TFP pages for additional info:
    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Pool School - Pump Basics

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    IN most cases here you will find that pool "turnover" is irrelevant. What you hear at pool stores simply doesn't have significant bearing on the condition of the water aside from simply skimming the surface for debris. You run your pump long enough to simply adequately mix chemicals throughout the water and then to achieve a reasonable amount of surface debris remove to the skimmer(s). Of course you crank-up the pump higher for other operations like vacuuming, SWG, solar, etc. All of these things vary from pool-to-pool. so experimenting with your pool is key. Try these TFP pages for additional info:
    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Pool School - Pump Basics

Hope that helps.
    I did read those articles i just got confused! So as long as chemicals are being mixed, does that mean a couple of hours? Thanks sorry im a total noob

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by hcenteno21 View Post
    I did read those articles i just got confused! So as long as chemicals are being mixed, does that mean a couple of hours? Thanks sorry im a total noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A couple of hours would probably get all the chems mixed and there for the water would be sanitary but there is also the filtering of dirt and debris to be considered. I would start with 3 or 4 hours and see how the water looks. If it gets a bit hazy or leaves and debris start being noticeable increase by 30 min to an hour every couple of days till you like the look. Multiple run times can help with skimming because it gets the debris into the skimmer before it has a chance to sink. If you don't have a lot of trees to deal wiht it will not do much for the overall look of the water.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    A couple of hours would probably get all the chems mixed and there for the water would be sanitary but there is also the filtering of dirt and debris to be considered. I would start with 3 or 4 hours and see how the water looks. If it gets a bit hazy or leaves and debris start being noticeable increase by 30 min to an hour every couple of days till you like the look. Multiple run times can help with skimming because it gets the debris into the skimmer before it has a chance to sink. If you don't have a lot of trees to deal wiht it will not do much for the overall look of the water.
    I do have a few trees and leaves do become some what of a problem if its windy, if not i get a few a day! Would it be ok to do say 2.5 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours in the evening? Or 2 and 2? I guess my q is as long as the total run tume equals whatever keeps it clean im fine? Say my magic # is 5 hours does it need to be continuous?

6. Back To Top    #6

One suggestion, you may want to consider adding chemicals in the AM, since much of your FC loss will be mid-day in the TX heat. If you can give your pool a little boost in the morning, you'll may find that you have fewer issues related to low FC.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    One suggestion, you may want to consider adding chemicals in the AM, since much of your FC loss will be mid-day in the TX heat. If you can give your pool a little boost in the morning, you'll may find that you have fewer issues related to low FC.
    Awesome! Even better. My concern was since my kids like to swim anywhere from 10-7 as long as i add chemicals at 8 and its just keeping up no insane amount they should be good to swim an hr or two later correct?

For instance yesterday o added 50ozof 6% bleach, through readig it said that basically you can swim almost instantly as long as you spread it?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Run time does not need to be continuous so yes you can split 2, 3 even 4 times however you like. Kids can jump in fairly soon after chemical adds, an hour is a good rule of thumb, I admit I have jumped in after 15min and did notice a slight chlorine smell so probably a bit too soon.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Run time does not need to be continuous so yes you can split 2, 3 even 4 times however you like. Kids can jump in fairly soon after chemical adds, an hour is a good rule of thumb, I admit I have jumped in after 15min and did notice a slight chlorine smell so probably a bit too soon.
    Thank you !

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine is split as well. 2 hrs in the am and 2 hrs in the evening. I add chemicals in the evening just more convenient that way.
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir