Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

This is a 16 X 48 intex pool. I decided I'm too old to put this thing up and down every year. So next year we'd like to get a actual AG pool. They are all 52 inch tall. I love my deck, what should I do? Has anyone every remodeled a deck to fit a different size pool? Regular pools also come in 15 round and 18 round NOT 16.
I'll take any suggestions.

My pool is taller than my deck. I built it that way because I'm getting to old to be crawling under it to pull the winter cover under the deck.

Whatever you decide on doing with the pool, you should think about adding some kind of wall or gate. It looks pretty easy for a little one to get loose and just climb the steps and fall in the pool. Even just putting rails on the steps with a door at the bottom or fencing the entry in a little could work. Terrible thought but with pools, safety should be the first concern.

Good luck.

I was in the same situation as you when it came time to upgrade to a more permanent pool. The old one was 48" tall and the new was 52". I didn't want the deck shorter than the pool so the only option was to dig out the ground and lower the pool. Luckily the slope of the land ended up still working in our favor and the low side was almost right at the perfect elevation, but we also went bigger so it went out farther.

Your situation may not work out the same if staying with the same diameter. If you know the finished height of the top rail then using a transom or laser level and digging to the right depth wouldn't be so bad to get it to line up how you have it now. It's just a little more challenging, but it can be done. Trust me!

Also wanted to point out that going from 18 to 24 only required slight modification of the deck. But ours doesn't go around as much as yours. And since like you said they don't do 16' putting an18' will probably result in a gap more in the middle of the deck between the pool. If you put the pool in where it is taller than the existing deck than that would definitely make it easier to frame a small step up all around and cover any unsightly gaps as well as visually blending the new pool into the old deck.

Keep the pool and leave it up.

That's what I'm leaning toward!

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you decide on doing with the pool, you should think about adding some kind of wall or gate. It looks pretty easy for a little one to get loose and just climb the steps and fall in the pool. Even just putting rails on the steps with a door at the bottom or fencing the entry in a little could work. Terrible thought but with pools, safety should be the first concern.

Good luck.

I live in the country. No little ones around. My neighbors are two eighty year olds. But I should probably still do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the 26' Intex. I don't take it down. (Didn't take my 18' down either.) it survived that super cold winter two years ago with no ill effects.

Thanks for letting me know. I always wondered if it could make it through a tough winter.

- - - Updated - - -

I was in the same situation as you when it came time to upgrade to a more permanent pool. The old one was 48" tall and the new was 52". I didn't want the deck shorter than the pool so the only option was to dig out the ground and lower the pool. Luckily the slope of the land ended up still working in our favor and the low side was almost right at the perfect elevation, but we also went bigger so it went out farther.

Your situation may not work out the same if staying with the same diameter. If you know the finished height of the top rail then using a transom or laser level and digging to the right depth wouldn't be so bad to get it to line up how you have it now. It's just a little more challenging, but it can be done. Trust me!

Also wanted to point out that going from 18 to 24 only required slight modification of the deck. But ours doesn't go around as much as yours. And since like you said they don't do 16' putting an18' will probably result in a gap more in the middle of the deck between the pool. If you put the pool in where it is taller than the existing deck than that would definitely make it easier to frame a small step up all around and cover any unsightly gaps as well as visually blending the new pool into the old deck.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had never thought of doing that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree. I left my Coleman steel frame pool up this past winter and it came through just fine. I couldn't see myself taking it down and putting it up each fall and spring. If it only lasts 3 or 4 years I will get another one. (Plus my new deck fits the pool too).

I loved my old Intex pool, It lasted 4 years before it the ladder rubbed a hole in the bottom of it. (my husband put the ladder in backwards) I went to 4 stores to find exactly the same one. Well, the picture on the box was the same, but the pool had been "improved". They ruined them! It has a convoluted hose assembly. It leaks around the connector valves. I've used a lot of the parts from the old pool to "repair" the new pool and it's only the second year we've used it. I'm glad some of you have said you just leave up the pools over the winter. I'm going to try it.

- - - Updated - - -

My pool is taller than my deck. I didn't want to be on display for the neighbors, so we built the deck halfway as tall and built steps to attach the pool steps to. I'll take a pic and post tomorrow. It works for us.

Can't wait to see the pic. I'm trying to visualize it.

I agree. I left my Coleman steel frame pool up this past winter and it came through just fine. I couldn't see myself taking it down and putting it up each fall and spring. If it only lasts 3 or 4 years I will get another one. (Plus my new deck fits the pool too).

I was wondering if you put a pool pillow in it before you put the winter cover on? Can the intex support legs handle the winch thing that keeps the cover on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.