Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Scrappnchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Martinsville, wv
    Posts
    14

    Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck




    This is a 16 X 48 intex pool. I decided I'm too old to put this thing up and down every year. So next year we'd like to get a actual AG pool. They are all 52 inch tall. I love my deck, what should I do? Has anyone every remodeled a deck to fit a different size pool? Regular pools also come in 15 round and 18 round NOT 16.
    I'll take any suggestions.
    Hayward pump, filter and gas heater
    Aquabot poolrover cleaner
    13000 gal. 15x30 AG
    TF-100 test kit

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    My pool is taller than my deck. I built it that way because I'm getting to old to be crawling under it to pull the winter cover under the deck.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide
    PAGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    2,388

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    I got the 26' Intex. I don't take it down. (Didn't take my 18' down either.) it survived that super cold winter two years ago with no ill effects.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    246

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Keep the pool and leave it up.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    20

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Whatever you decide on doing with the pool, you should think about adding some kind of wall or gate. It looks pretty easy for a little one to get loose and just climb the steps and fall in the pool. Even just putting rails on the steps with a door at the bottom or fencing the entry in a little could work. Terrible thought but with pools, safety should be the first concern.

    Good luck.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Jamison04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tecumseh, OK
    Posts
    553

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    I was in the same situation as you when it came time to upgrade to a more permanent pool. The old one was 48" tall and the new was 52". I didn't want the deck shorter than the pool so the only option was to dig out the ground and lower the pool. Luckily the slope of the land ended up still working in our favor and the low side was almost right at the perfect elevation, but we also went bigger so it went out farther.

    Your situation may not work out the same if staying with the same diameter. If you know the finished height of the top rail then using a transom or laser level and digging to the right depth wouldn't be so bad to get it to line up how you have it now. It's just a little more challenging, but it can be done. Trust me!

    Also wanted to point out that going from 18 to 24 only required slight modification of the deck. But ours doesn't go around as much as yours. And since like you said they don't do 16' putting an18' will probably result in a gap more in the middle of the deck between the pool. If you put the pool in where it is taller than the existing deck than that would definitely make it easier to frame a small step up all around and cover any unsightly gaps as well as visually blending the new pool into the old deck.

    24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Scrappnchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Martinsville, wv
    Posts
    14

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
    Keep the pool and leave it up.
    That's what I'm leaning toward!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by IsThisWhereIPutMyName? View Post
    Whatever you decide on doing with the pool, you should think about adding some kind of wall or gate. It looks pretty easy for a little one to get loose and just climb the steps and fall in the pool. Even just putting rails on the steps with a door at the bottom or fencing the entry in a little could work. Terrible thought but with pools, safety should be the first concern.

    Good luck.
    I live in the country. No little ones around. My neighbors are two eighty year olds. But I should probably still do it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I got the 26' Intex. I don't take it down. (Didn't take my 18' down either.) it survived that super cold winter two years ago with no ill effects.
    Thanks for letting me know. I always wondered if it could make it through a tough winter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison04 View Post
    I was in the same situation as you when it came time to upgrade to a more permanent pool. The old one was 48" tall and the new was 52". I didn't want the deck shorter than the pool so the only option was to dig out the ground and lower the pool. Luckily the slope of the land ended up still working in our favor and the low side was almost right at the perfect elevation, but we also went bigger so it went out farther.

    Your situation may not work out the same if staying with the same diameter. If you know the finished height of the top rail then using a transom or laser level and digging to the right depth wouldn't be so bad to get it to line up how you have it now. It's just a little more challenging, but it can be done. Trust me!

    Also wanted to point out that going from 18 to 24 only required slight modification of the deck. But ours doesn't go around as much as yours. And since like you said they don't do 16' putting an18' will probably result in a gap more in the middle of the deck between the pool. If you put the pool in where it is taller than the existing deck than that would definitely make it easier to frame a small step up all around and cover any unsightly gaps as well as visually blending the new pool into the old deck.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I had never thought of doing that!
    Hayward pump, filter and gas heater
    Aquabot poolrover cleaner
    13000 gal. 15x30 AG
    TF-100 test kit

  8. Back To Top    #8

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    I don't think you'll find the extra 6" much of a bother. If you do, it would be fairly cheap to build a step-up on top of the deck that would match the height of the new pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  9. Back To Top    #9
    kk_isme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    107

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    My pool is taller than my deck. I didn't want to be on display for the neighbors, so we built the deck halfway as tall and built steps to attach the pool steps to. I'll take a pic and post tomorrow. It works for us.
    Last edited by kk_isme; 07-04-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Larryh86GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    82

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
    Keep the pool and leave it up.
    I agree. I left my Coleman steel frame pool up this past winter and it came through just fine. I couldn't see myself taking it down and putting it up each fall and spring. If it only lasts 3 or 4 years I will get another one. (Plus my new deck fits the pool too).
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Scrappnchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Martinsville, wv
    Posts
    14

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    I agree. I left my Coleman steel frame pool up this past winter and it came through just fine. I couldn't see myself taking it down and putting it up each fall and spring. If it only lasts 3 or 4 years I will get another one. (Plus my new deck fits the pool too).
    I loved my old Intex pool, It lasted 4 years before it the ladder rubbed a hole in the bottom of it. (my husband put the ladder in backwards) I went to 4 stores to find exactly the same one. Well, the picture on the box was the same, but the pool had been "improved". They ruined them! It has a convoluted hose assembly. It leaks around the connector valves. I've used a lot of the parts from the old pool to "repair" the new pool and it's only the second year we've used it. I'm glad some of you have said you just leave up the pools over the winter. I'm going to try it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kk_isme View Post
    My pool is taller than my deck. I didn't want to be on display for the neighbors, so we built the deck halfway as tall and built steps to attach the pool steps to. I'll take a pic and post tomorrow. It works for us.
    Can't wait to see the pic. I'm trying to visualize it.
    Hayward pump, filter and gas heater
    Aquabot poolrover cleaner
    13000 gal. 15x30 AG
    TF-100 test kit

  12. Back To Top    #12
    kk_isme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    107

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    WIN_20160705_150224.jpgHere ya go.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ignore the bench section in the background. That was a miscommunication between me and the builder and is going to be taken out and a rail section installed soon.
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Scrappnchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Martinsville, wv
    Posts
    14

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Quote Originally Posted by kk_isme View Post
    WIN_20160705_150224.jpg

    Here ya go.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ignore the bench section in the background. That was a miscommunication between me and the builder and is going to be taken out and a rail section installed soon.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hayward pump, filter and gas heater
    Aquabot poolrover cleaner
    13000 gal. 15x30 AG
    TF-100 test kit

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Scrappnchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Martinsville, wv
    Posts
    14

    Re: Suggestions for upgrade: AG pool is going to be taller than deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    I agree. I left my Coleman steel frame pool up this past winter and it came through just fine. I couldn't see myself taking it down and putting it up each fall and spring. If it only lasts 3 or 4 years I will get another one. (Plus my new deck fits the pool too).
    I was wondering if you put a pool pillow in it before you put the winter cover on? Can the intex support legs handle the winch thing that keeps the cover on?
    Hayward pump, filter and gas heater
    Aquabot poolrover cleaner
    13000 gal. 15x30 AG
    TF-100 test kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •