Is this 40 yr old sand filter working?

Hi Tom (CNJ_EC),

Here are pictures of the valve handle assembly, with the orientation aligned with pictures I posted before: The bigger hole pointed to by the screw driver is in the compartment corresponding to the "closed" position. The top compartment corresponds to the "filter" position.
handle_front.jpg
handle_back.jpg

Nice catch for the two breaks in red circles. I did see them, but noticed it doesn't matter: There is no spider gasket there, because the two neighboring compartments there are in fact connected (better seen from the picture below). I can actually remove that broken spoke without affecting the operation of the multiport valve.
broken_spoke_doesnt_matter.jpg

If the small holes are by design (to bleed air for example), using DE as a tracer to test leaks in sand filter is not going to work, since some unfiltered pool water will go directly to the returns without going through the sand bed anyway. Also found a picture of another multiport valve (a different model though) in the thread below (need to scroll down a few pages in that thread). Can not see holes there, but it is hard to tell.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/92992-Help-replacing-broken-sight-glass

The spider gasket were new last season. Despite some slight deformation, they appear to be in working order. There might be some minor leaks related to the gasket but I think more water will pass through the small holes.

Very much appreciate your help.

Lin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.