Pool Heat...Does Anyone Make a Pool Chiller

Feb 14, 2016
McKinney. TX
North Texas. Pool water temp today was 94. Daytime temps going to be at or around 100 next week with "lows" around 80. I've heard a tale that someone around here has a few "black box" solar panels hooked into his pool circulation system. In the winter he uses it to heat his pool. In the blazing summer, he circulates his pool water thru it at night, which allegedly turns the black boxes into radiators and "cools" the water. Anybody heard of this or other ways to cool the pool?

My older sister claims I live in H_ll (due to the sumer high temps). I plan to get 50 lbs of dry ice, toss them into the pool, take a pic to show her how the pool water "boils" in the summer............:sun::shock:

North Texas. Pool water temp today was 94. Daytime temps going to be at or around 100 next week with "lows" around 80. I've heard a tale that someone around here has a few "black box" solar panels hooked into his pool circulation system. In the winter he uses it to heat his pool. In the blazing summer, he circulates his pool water thru it at night, which allegedly turns the black boxes into radiators and "cools" the water. Anybody heard of this or other ways to cool the pool?

My older sister claims I live in H_ll (due to the sumer high temps). I plan to get 50 lbs of dry ice, toss them into the pool, take a pic to show her how the pool water "boils" in the summer............:sun::shock:

You CAN achieve some water cooling by setting up a sprinkler screwed into a return. Another poster here had the same question not long ago. They posted this link. Amazon.com : Pool Cooler : Automatic Lawn Watering Equipment Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

But in all seriousness you can build your own with PVC fittings and a drill. I have one that I built and I'm constantly experimenting with height etc. the key point is to run it overnight when air temps are cooler than pool water temps.

And yes......you are losing water to evaporation when you do it.

Many years ago (20 or so) we ran something similar to skippys posted above for an Olympic size pool I managed in high school. It was much larger. I built the same for my pool, plugged it into a bubbler, plugged the other bubbler hole and shut off all the other returns. Last night in about 12 hours I dropped from 94 to 87 degrees. The main thing as I can tell is push a lot of water through and push it as far across the pool as you can. The higher the better as well. I've tried a few different designs and those characteristics are what have worked best so far. I generally only do it on weekends as I get free electricity on the weekend so running the pump full speed is no big deal during the weekends.

If you are made of money they sell swimming pool chillers. I googled it and Glacier comes up as a vendor. We don't have that problem up here in the Midwest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.