Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water features turned off at regular time and spa is draining for some reason…..

1. Back To Top    #1

Water features turned off at regular time and spa is draining for some reason…..

Good evening all: Our in ground pool is now 6 months old. Our water features turned off at the scheduled time and then a short time later, we noticed that our raised spa was nearly empty. We texted our pool builder supervisor (who has been wonderful even after the construction and turn over), but have not heard back [weekend/holiday weekend], so I thought I would ask the experts here. What's going on? Earlier in the day we did have a 30 second power outage, but that didn't last too long and nothing seemed to be affected at that time.

We turned the water features back on and the spa filled again. We intend to keep them on until we can reach our PB.

Thanks!
    Dig was September 21st and it's been "full steam ahead" since. It is a 16' x 32' free form with an 18" high wall (steps on each side) with two 24" water features, salt water, sun deck (10'), and a spa (8') with a 48" spillover. All Pentair products and color LED lights. Screen enclosed.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water features turned off at regular time and spa is draining for some reason…..

Post a picture of the equipment pad/valve positions. Its likely a valve that needs to get rotated or a bad check valve.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water features turned off at regular time and spa is draining for some reason…..

Thanks for responding. I don't know how to upload a picture here. Update though: In the morning, the pump shut itself off - when we don't know as we weren't up yet (could be how my husband set it the night before) and the water didn't drain from the spa this time. About an hour later, the pump turned itself on again.
    Dig was September 21st and it's been "full steam ahead" since. It is a 16' x 32' free form with an 18" high wall (steps on each side) with two 24" water features, salt water, sun deck (10'), and a spa (8') with a 48" spillover. All Pentair products and color LED lights. Screen enclosed.

4. Back To Top    #4

A picture would definitely be helpful. It's possible that your power outage reset your timers, throwing it off a bit.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know why that would make the spa drain. It's never happened before.

6. Back To Top    #6

To post pictures, just upload to a photo program like photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG code into your post.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Your spa water wants to be the same level as your pool water. If your valves are in the proper positions then there should be a check valve at the return side of your plumbing to stop your spa from draining back into your pool.

The check valve could either be at a common return plumbed by the pool return or at the spa return.

Most likely with your pool being new some valve is probley left open. But I can't tell you for sure unless I get a picture of the system and the plumbing.