Orange rings on bottom of pool.

Pete23

Jun 26, 2016
Michigan
Clumps of orange rings are forming on the bottom of my pool, they won't brush off and they won't vacuum off. I had a mustard algea problem that's showing signs of coming back. The amount of the orange rings is increasing too. Anyone have an idea of what they are and how I remove them? They're an eyesore XD.

My local pool store uses a real test kit and when I went 4 days ago it was
ph 7.8
Fc 2
Stabilizer 100
Alcalinity 60-90 (forgot where)
Those are the only results i remember.
I only have strips(I know they are inaccurate) at home and everything is pretty similar except the chlorine which is on the high level it shows a 10 because I added chlorine in the morning to try to deal with the algea problem before a bloom.

My local pool store uses a real test kit and when I went 4 days ago it was
ph 7.8
Fc 2
Stabilizer 100
Alcalinity 60-90 (forgot where)
Those are the only results i remember.
I only have strips(I know they are inaccurate) at home and everything is pretty similar except the chlorine which is on the high level it shows a 10 because I added chlorine in the morning to try to deal with the algea problem before a bloom.

Hi there and welcome

I can't help but comment as I think the only "real" test kit is one you own that uses Taylor reagents and includes the fas-dpd chlorine test and includes an owner willing to use it and understand it.

And chlorine of 10 with stabilizer (CYA) at 100 is not high.

I highly reccomend you getting your own quality test kit and reading up on ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

In addition to the proper test kit, :) you might want to troubleshoot that unknown stain as follows:
- If it's dark in color and/or rough, it may be scale from excess calcium - possibly with something embedded in it. Excess calcium requires scrubbing and/or possible acid treatment to reduce the excess scale (reference the CSI index); the proper test kit would help us with that.
- Try vitamin C on it. Regular tablets crushed in a sock will do. If it lifts the stain it was probably iron (i.e. from well water). If it made the stain darker, it could be copper (i.e. from algaecides) in which case try some dry acid on the same area.
- Last, try a tri-chlor puck on the area to see if it's organic. If that works, then an increased FC level may help reduce the overall appearance of the stain.

There are also over-the-counter methods to ID a stain (i.e. Jack’s Magic Stain ID Kit – about $15) that can be used to help identify the cause of a stain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vitamin C may rule-out water metals, but I'm wondering if these aren't some sort of calcium nodules or perhaps the rebar from under the plaster? That's where some good water tests would come-in handy. Do the spots appear to be in any consistent order or pattern in the plaster which might indicate rebar, or are they simply scattered randomly everywhere?

Also, have you had a chance to try applying a chlorine tablet to any of them yet?

If they are no slimy and you can not scratch them off and see green, then they are not algae.

I think Dave might have the right idea that some metal got thrown in.

It has been over 2 weeks, you have one of the recommended test kits yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.