Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange rings on bottom of pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Orange rings on bottom of pool.

Clumps of orange rings are forming on the bottom of my pool, they won't brush off and they won't vacuum off. I had a mustard algea problem that's showing signs of coming back. The amount of the orange rings is increasing too. Anyone have an idea of what they are and how I remove them? They're an eyesore XD.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Orange rings on bottom of pool.

Might help us if you can post a pic of those rings please. Also, a full set of water test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Thanks!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

My local pool store uses a real test kit and when I went 4 days ago it was
    ph 7.8
    Fc 2
    Stabilizer 100
    Alcalinity 60-90 (forgot where)
    Those are the only results i remember.
    I only have strips(I know they are inaccurate) at home and everything is pretty similar except the chlorine which is on the high level it shows a 10 because I added chlorine in the morning to try to deal with the algea problem before a bloom.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is really a toss up on which is worse Pool store test results or test strips. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Been buying it there for years.

How big is that spot?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Pete23 View Post
    My local pool store uses a real test kit and when I went 4 days ago it was
    ph 7.8
    Fc 2
    Stabilizer 100
    Alcalinity 60-90 (forgot where)
    Those are the only results i remember.
    I only have strips(I know they are inaccurate) at home and everything is pretty similar except the chlorine which is on the high level it shows a 10 because I added chlorine in the morning to try to deal with the algea problem before a bloom.
    Hi there and welcome

I can't help but comment as I think the only "real" test kit is one you own that uses Taylor reagents and includes the fas-dpd chlorine test and includes an owner willing to use it and understand it.

And chlorine of 10 with stabilizer (CYA) at 100 is not high.

I highly reccomend you getting your own quality test kit and reading up on ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

In addition to the proper test kit, you might want to troubleshoot that unknown stain as follows:
    - If it's dark in color and/or rough, it may be scale from excess calcium - possibly with something embedded in it. Excess calcium requires scrubbing and/or possible acid treatment to reduce the excess scale (reference the CSI index); the proper test kit would help us with that.
    - Try vitamin C on it. Regular tablets crushed in a sock will do. If it lifts the stain it was probably iron (i.e. from well water). If it made the stain darker, it could be copper (i.e. from algaecides) in which case try some dry acid on the same area.
    - Last, try a tri-chlor puck on the area to see if it's organic. If that works, then an increased FC level may help reduce the overall appearance of the stain.

There are also over-the-counter methods to ID a stain (i.e. Jack’s Magic Stain ID Kit – about $15) that can be used to help identify the cause of a stain.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the help, but does this have to do anything with algea because the amount is increasing.

9. Back To Top    #9

Possibly. But one of those methods should clue us in..... along with the proper test kit I'm afraid.

10. Back To Top    #10

Can any one else shine any light on my situation. They haven't gone and I think theyre increasing, but slowly. They're in small clumps on the edges and curves of the pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Were you able to try any of the tests in post #7 to isolate what the stain might be? Also, are you able to provide your own water test results yet for us to compare to?

12. Back To Top    #12

How big are the circles? Really small ones about a centimeter look like BB gun pellets that I have seen before..been there.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

13. Back To Top    #13

Its not calcium for sure, I don't use well water and I haven't tried the puck.

- - - Updated - - -

They're a 1cm- 3cm rings. Do you know what they are and how to deal with them?

14. Back To Top    #14

Try Vit C tablets on the stain.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

The vitamen c tablets didn't work.

16. Back To Top    #16

Vitamin C may rule-out water metals, but I'm wondering if these aren't some sort of calcium nodules or perhaps the rebar from under the plaster? That's where some good water tests would come-in handy. Do the spots appear to be in any consistent order or pattern in the plaster which might indicate rebar, or are they simply scattered randomly everywhere?

Also, have you had a chance to try applying a chlorine tablet to any of them yet?

17. Back To Top    #17

20160719_195137.jpg20160719_195109.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They're random forming around the curves

- - - Updated - - -

I have chlor-guard tabs. 99% tricolor s-triazinetrione. Will that work?

18. Back To Top    #18

Tablet didn't work either.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Did you fertilize your yard and sling pellets into your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

If they are no slimy and you can not scratch them off and see green, then they are not algae.

I think Dave might have the right idea that some metal got thrown in.

It has been over 2 weeks, you have one of the recommended test kits yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast