Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering the TA and pH level

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Lowering the TA and pH level

I have a customer whose pool I've been trying to lower the pH level in by adding the specific acids used to lower the pool pH. However, when I go to do the weekly service after a week, the pH level is always 8.0+. I put it lots of acid but it's always high. Please help me. When I researched it, it said to lower the TA but in order to do that, I need to put in acid and that's what I've been doing.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Lowering the TA and pH level

Welcome to TFP!

Here is the process for lowering TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Post a full set of test results and we might be able to help more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Longview, Texas

Re: Lowering the TA and pH level

A good set of test results will help us help you.

So why is the pH rising so fast? Are there water features, sprays and such in the pool? A load of kids splashing around each day? What is the pH of the fill water? What is the TA?

Just because you are adding acid on your weekly round doesnt automatically mean the TA will get lower and lower and start buffering the pH. If the fill water TA is high that could counteract adding acid.

It sounds as if a comple water parameter survey of the pool, how its used and the fill water is in order and if necessary, bring the TA down all at once, so that the pH rise can be better controlled.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!