New to the forum and need help on a new intex pool mod(skimmer)

Jul 2, 2016
pa
I have a summer escapes 14x42. Pool is up and running with the fish filter it came with. (which has a round opening\skimmer). Here is my problem. It leaks and it leaks. I bought a sand filter and salt water system to hook up but have not done it yet. Fish filter is a summer waves-sfx1000. The diameter of the hole is just under 7" round. The motor is incased in the bottom with just a thin gasket and plastic screw on retainer. (this is the main leak)
Now I just went out and forgot to bring the black stopper that came with the fish filter to buy a new skimmer thinking that I would just put a whole new skimmer on, hook up the other filters and be happy. However, that 7" diameter is very big. It would not allow me to screw in the new skimmer. I have been searching the web all day to find a skimmer that will accommodate this round hole, however I cannot find one. Wide mouth would be good on the width end but not the height.
Ideally I would like to find a skimmer to cover this hole, since the thickness of the liner is a lot heavier in that area. (9-10"H and very wide)
I was thinking of just moving the new skimmer over but how would I block up this 7 " hole? and would the liner/wall support it?
The new hayward skimmer is not off by much, would 2 large pool patches cover and hold? (would need a screw thru it also)
Picture of black circle is the opening in the liner on top of the hayward skimmer gasket. As you can see it over laps just slightly. (of course)
Anyone think that maybe some pool patches, folded over the liner, and squared off would work? (all 4 sides)
Sorry to be long winded and thanks for any help~!

Attachments

• Summer-Waves-SFX1000-Complete-Filtration-System-with-X1000-Pump-P53FX1000.jpg
    Summer-Waves-SFX1000-Complete-Filtration-System-with-X1000-Pump-P53FX1000.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 81
yes, I would patch the 7" diameter hole and install any skimmer you want in a new position. I cut my liner and installed a hayward skimmer in my 15' x 48" intex pool 3 years ago and it works great. Good luck!

Quick update, I went ahead and attached the skimmer over the existing circular hole. Only the top middle screw seem to be a problem if you position it correctly. Since water should not be flowing over this section it should not be a problem. I used some 'quick tite" across the top to make up some of the gap, not sure if it was even needed though. NO LEAKS, however I do have a minor leak on the outlet. I put both rubber gaskets on the pool side. That may be the issue. The outlet is what came with the skimmer. Not real happy with it since with such a small pool it really makes the water move and the skimmer is missing that floating debris.
NOTE on skimmer. I saw somewhere on here where as someone cut the gasket. You do not need to do this. Mine was not exact and works fine, probably seals better too. Hardest part was getting the screws thru, ended up using a drill bit and solved the problem, remember if it is not a battery drill you will be standing in water.

People cut the gasket in order to install the skimmer without draining the water below the hole first. They put one half on the outside and the other half on the inside and screw it all together. Then they cut out the liner inside.

But if you're willing to drain a few inches, this isn't necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.