Help!!!! I have a smart pool and a dumb owner

Apr 22, 2010
Prosper, Texas
I have been using BBB for a long time with my simple inground vinyl liner 28,000 pool with sand filter and it has been clear, clean for the most part. We just moved to a fancy, beautiful, gunite pool with spa, waterfalls, creepy crawly cleaner, DE filter, pentair intellichem, remote control the whole nine yards and a pool guy.

We just moved in beginning of June. The pool guy came last week and added a bag of salt? The pool started to turn green on Friday. The alarm on the equipment is going off? But I do not understand everything. My Taylor pool chemical tester reads PH 7.2-7.4, Chlorine 0, CYA less than 30, Hardness 0 Alkalinty 60.

I called and had the pool guy come back to show me how the pool works. I asked why pool was green and he insisted the pool was not running enough, but it runs all day and then I REQUESTED that he test the chemicals and confused he says Okay. He roughly tested chemicals and said they are all good. I said lets test them together because I am getting a different reading. and then WOW the number are all off!!!!!! I asked when was the last time chemicals were added and he said he just added salt. He insisted it was a salt water pool because the water tasted salty???? I asked where the salt cell was because this is new to me also, and he insisted it was somewhere in the pool stuff pointing to a clear canister of water in the pool equipment. SIGH.

I called the main pool guy and found out in fact that it is a chlorine pool. (now with salt added)

The main pool guy is coming out tomorrow. I am frustrated beyond imaginable. (the pool people had been taking care of pool for previous owners.)

My question is: What do I do? How will the salt affect all the mechanics? I am not sure I trust the main pool guy coming out tomorrow. I need to know what needs to be done to get the pool clear and functioning properly.
Any advise is appreciated............

Re: Salt in a chlorine pool

Don't worry about it. If anything, it'll help improve the feel of the water. Even if you have limestone (or other soft stone) coping I'm pretty sure you'd need a lot more salt than that to cause problems.

If that's the only bag of salt that's been put in the pool you're more than fine. Enough salt for your pool and an SWG would be around 750lbs.

The big issue is letting the FC get to zero that will lead any pool into the land of green.

I don't even have an SWG, had never seen one before I came to this forum a few months ago, and certainly don't work in the industry and even I know what an SWG looks like.

You're telling me that you have a "professional" who:
1. Doesn't know what a SWG looks like.
2. Doesn't know enough to test for FC and boost if necessary when he/she sees an FC level of 0?
3. Randomly adds salt?

Fire them, please. For the health of you and your family and to save money on trying to recover the swamp that your pool will turn into with these guys!

We have lived in our house for about 2 weeks. I am use to a vinyl inground pool, borax and chlorine were my amour. Our new pool is so much different.

The "pool guy" had put salt in a non-salt water pool, that was my first thread as the pool turned green no chlorine and no CYA.

The owner of the pool place came out and cleared the pool up a week ago. Now I am on my own, but this pool has a brain called intellchem and it said WARNING: PH 7.8, + scaling .87. The pool was sparkling clear. I probable should have left it alone.

I checked the chemicals:
Hardness 0
CYA 30 (2 weeks ago pool was 0 so I added CYA and now it is good)
PH was at 7.8 (i ran out of chemical so this is what the brain said) ( Pool also has a muratic acid pump)
Chlorine 0 (???? yeah it had tabs so I don't know?)
Alkalinity was 40 (so I added washing soda) (Thought this might be the alarm Alkalinity should be higher 60-80)

*****now the pool is cloudy, Intellichem said PH 8.2, +.87 scaling, and ORP low 645.****** (I only added washing soda.)

I don't know what ORP stands for, or what I need to add to increase it. I don't know why it is scaling?
Any help would be great
thank you in advance
Olivia

What taylor kit is it? Here the K-2006 or the tft-100 are the generally recommended kits, because they test for more things. I'm a pool noob, so not necessarily the best to listen to, but would not be inclined to trust the automated system to add stuff or measure stuff. I would be inclined to turn it off or ignore it, test with one of the kits above, and add stuff yourself to get things where you know they should be according to poolmath. Forget what the intelli-whatever says, until you have a sense enough of how it measures and and what it's settings are, to be able to compare it to the tried and tests TFTmethod.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. I have a Taylor drop tester and a PoolLife drop tester, however I ran out of the Ph drops. 2.The pool guy shocked the pool last week and put chlorine pucks in the inline chlorinator. It is a chlorine pool.

Which Taylor test kit do you have? This is important, as some are weenie kits and others are the real deal for big pools. The most important test to us is the FAS-DPD test which will accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, and the CCs.

TFTestkits.net is the source for the good kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.