Thanks to others helping out in the past, I have identified my backwash valve as and an old design Jandy push pull valve. This looks different from the current Jandy valves. Mine has 2 screws holding the top piece in that the pull rod goes through. The rod itself is metal. Today I bought a current Zodiac/Jandy rebuild kit for the current version and went to replace the orings. When I looked at the bottom of the pull rod, I noticed it is not really an oring, but more like a rubber/silicone "wheel" with an oring "tire" (think soap box derby car wheels vs a standard empty center oring), so the kit is worthless. This "wheel/tire" is held in place by two plastic fixtures with cotter pins that go through the rod. The rod has etched at the top fixture which allows allow sit to move and thereby allows the "oring" to flex and not seal correctly. So I ahve a steady leak into the backwash piping and I can see water moving at air gap in my front yard.
The current version of this valve include a screw down top and seemingly a plastic rod. My valve will not accept the screw down top so I am looking for suggestions on replacing the rod fixture, or the whole valve. Of course there is little PVC to work with to replace, so if I can repair it will be better.