Newbie - Which Tests to Perform First?

Jun 23, 2016
Gonzales, LA
Just received the TF-100 test kit. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to pools and feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information provided which I've tried to digest thus far (ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, Recommended Levels, Chlorine / CYA Chart, etc.). Which tests do I perform first or do I perform all? Once I have the results, then what?

I performed the basic test and it looks to me like the pH is 7.2 and the Cl is between 3 and 5. Is the Cl on the basic test the FC that I've seen referred to in other articles? This confused me because it seems the recommended level is between 3 - 7 but the test only goes to 5??

That basic test kit is to check for pH (sounds like you read it right) and then to check for the presence of chlorine and a VERY rough idea of the amount.

The really precise chlorine test is to come.

Okay, you have done the daily tests, now do the weekly (or as needed) section on the laminated sheet. Simply start at the beginning and do them all. I suggest you leave your kit inside, go collect a cupful or so of pool water from about 1 foot deep and then find a comfortable spot inside to do you tests. Most of us find the kitchen is best.

Once the test are done, post the results like this...
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

Once these are posted, re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help make sense out of the tests. We'll all chip in to help you get started with the test results.

That basic test kit is to check for pH (sounds like you read it right) and then to check for the presence of chlorine and a VERY rough idea of the amount.

The really precise chlorine test is to come.

Okay, you have done the daily tests, now do the weekly (or as needed) section on the laminated sheet. Simply start at the beginning and do them all. I suggest you leave your kit inside, go collect a cupful or so of pool water from about 1 foot deep and then find a comfortable spot inside to do you tests. Most of us find the kitchen is best.

Once the test are done, post the results like this...
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

Once these are posted, re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help make sense out of the tests. We'll all chip in to help you get started with the test results.

Thanks so much for the reply. Here is my first crack at the tests:

pH: 7.2 - 7.5
FC: 13
CC: 0.5
CH: 75
TA: 130
CYA: 100

The good news is those tests look like you performed them flawlessly. The bad news is that your CYA is too high. I would suggest you plan a partial drain to reduce your CYA to about 50 ppm. You'll use less chlorine in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.