First Test with TF-100 Grade me Please :-)

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
OK, new quartzite resurfacing about 2 weeks ago, and just got my TF-100 kit a few minutes ago. Of course, I sprinted out to the pool with my new chemistry set to see how I'm doing. To be honest, all the chemical measurements sounded pretty imposing before I got the kit, so I was a bit intimidated. However, I followed the easy-to-use directions, and got the following results:

FC 3
CC 0
TC 3
CH 425*
TA 140
CYA 50

*Minor issue: The cap on the R-0011L was very tight, and when I finally got it off, it spilled all over. The dropper-top apparently fused to the cap, and now I have a bit of stain, and no dropper on the bottle :-( Hopefully they'll replace/exchange . . . The CH reading is probably artificially high because of extra re-agent that spilled, but I have no way to measure without a dropper.

Off to pool school to check my numbers, but any feedback appreciated. . . .

I just put about 16 oz of Muriatic in the pool, my daughter is having about 12 13 y/o girls coming to swim for a bday party in a couple hours, is that enough time to be safe? Also, the muriatic I had left was very old, does it lose strength like bleach?

thanks for the help and happy 4th weekend ;-)
Joel

Outstanding Joe! :goodjob: We'll give you an "A" for testing, and give Dave and "A+" for customer service. :p The only thing that needs immediate attention is raising your FC. Based on your CYA, your target is 6, and never below 4, so get that FC up ASAP. With girls on the way, I'd increase it to about 7 or 8 to be safe. If your water gets hazy/cloudy, or you suspect algae or an unusually large FC consumption each day, let us know.

As time goes on, if your pH continues to rise too fast it may be because of your slightly elevated TA. You can lower TA by following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.