Hayward pool heater knocking

May 9, 2016
Dallas, PA
Hello all. New pool owner this year (bought the house with the pool). Got it going and have been using the pool for a few months. This site is awesome! Anyway, today our Hayward nat gas pool heater began to make a knocking sound. It happened about 20 minutes after start up. After doing some research it seems that I may have a broken bypass valve, or calcium build up in the heat exchanger. Hopefully it is the valve since that fix seems much cheaper!

My question to you experts is this. I do not know what a normal condition for the heater is when I take the valve out and inspect, so what should I be looking for once I have the inlet/outlet pipes disconnected? Will I be able to visibly see a calcium issue if that is the case?

Any help here is appreciated!

Make sure you don't have any valves that are preventing flow of water to the heater. If that is all correct, then I suspect you have a broken bypass. Which model heater do you have? Doe sit have a digital display?

Look at this video I did a while back. It will help you understand what needs to be done.

Hayward Broken Bypass Video - YouTube

Reactions: fdl9
Make sure you don't have any valves that are preventing flow of water to the heater. If that is all correct, then I suspect you have a broken bypass. Which model heater do you have? Doe sit have a digital display?

Look at this video I did a while back. It will help you understand what needs to be done.

Hayward Broken Bypass Video - YouTube

Plate is ok and intact. Not sure where to look next. I could not see any visible issue with the heat exchanger. Could this be a thermostat issue?

You took the header off? If it's knocking and everything else looks good, it's a water flow issue. Do you have any valves associated with the pool system? Specifically near the heater? Sometimes there is a valve that can be used to bypass water flow from the heater and if not closed properly it will cause the hater to be starved of water and thus create the sound you are hearing.

You took the header off? If it's knocking and everything else looks good, it's a water flow issue. Do you have any valves associated with the pool system? Specifically near the heater? Sometimes there is a valve that can be used to bypass water flow from the heater and if not closed properly it will cause the hater to be starved of water and thus create the sound you are hearing.

There is a bypass valve before the heater, but it has been open and the heater has been running fine for months with no changes in the valve set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say open, to me that means it is allowing water to bypass the heater. It should be closed to force water into the heater.

How about a picture?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The valve is allowing water to bypass the heater. You have to close the bypass to force more water through the heater.

Rotate the valve 90 degrees clockwise.

What model Super II do you have? Total hp?

If it's a high hp pump, you might only need to close the bypass part way. You want enough water flow, but not too much.

That's the motor. I'm mainly trying to determine if you should close the bypass 100 % or leave it open a little bit. If it's a really strong pump, it's better to bypass some flow to prevent erosion.

Most heaters can handle the full flow without problems. The Hayward heaters seem to have more erosion issues from excessive flow than other brands.

Most likely, you'll be fine closing 100%.

One last question... On the right side of the header valve there are 4 wires 2 going into each module... When I pulled them, I thought there was a wire harness in the boot. I know which 2 are from the top and which 2 for the bottom, but I don't know for sure for each individual wire... Can't find anything on the Internet for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.