Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: determining how long to run pump

determining how long to run pump

I am wondering how to figure out how long it takes a pump to turn the water over completely? Need to figure out how long to run my pump atleat all my water makes it once thru the filter a day.

Thanks
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

Re: determining how long to run pump

16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Try reading Determine Pump Run Time in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

With your pool size and pump, a turnover is the range of 1.5-2 hours.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    going to the site a couple of posters ahead of you it should take 5.3 hrs to completely turn over my pool. could you please let me know where you got your information?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

A Hayward 1 HP above ground pump should be moving around 60 to 80 GPM. Assuming 60 GPM and 5300 gallons gives around 1.5 hours.

The Pentair web site is designed for in ground pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by jshinklin
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    going to the site a couple of posters ahead of you it should take 5.3 hrs to completely turn over my pool. could you please let me know where you got your information?
    The Pentair site has a minimum pool volume of 10k but with that gives a turnover of 2.6 hours so I'm not sure how you got 5.3 hours. 53% (5300/10000) of that value is 1.4 hours but an inground pump will probably pump more water. I used the mid point on a typical above ground Hayward pump which was 60 GPM. Either way the number is close to 1.5 hours.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater