New pool - hungry for chlorine

Jun 18, 2016
NE Arkansas
Just jumped into pool ownership about a week ago when we closed on new house. I had no idea what went into pool maintenance, but luckily had a buddy that had recently found site and kindly directed me here! I spent the week or two before move in reading up in between packing, and was able to order a kit and get prepared for the new challenge. Anyway, I wanted to start my own thread as I found the previous SLAM threads pretty inspiring, and I have loved following people's journeys to clear waters!

Luckily, when I got the first test results after the move, CYA was not obscene, which was my biggest fear given the pool is about 3 years old. I has been chewing through chlorine like mad though. Admittedly though, I have put off a SLAM for a couple days because the water is clear blue. I am buckling down though and hopefully can get this thing done in 24-48 hours given the current clarity. Here's initial test after some adjusting to prepare for SLAM:

pH 7.2
FC 0.5
CC 2.0
CYA 30
TA 80
CH 170

That was last night prior to ONCL test. I bumped FC up to 14, which I confirmed about an hour after adding. This morning I slept in, but luckily was overcast day. At 0900, the FC was back down to 2! :mad: I don't think the 2 hours of overcast sky probably contributed much to the drop, though correct me if I'm wrong.

This morning I have increased FC again from 2-->14 at 0900. Retest at 1100 showed FC 10, and I've increased to 14 again. CC has been <0.5 all morning btw.

Will give update and hopefully photo later if I can get that figured out! Thanks again for all the amazing info and support on the site! Will become contributor soon.

Yes it was definitely a huge selling point for us. We have two young kids that are going to enjoy the pool for many years! They were the hard part about convincing everyone we needed to take a couple days break.

Back to the chemistries, the FC was just 7.5, CC 0. Added enough to hopefully bring back up to 14.

Question I have right now is whether there is any positives or downsides to leaving the Polaris running continuously right now? I just checked it and there was a bit of sand and grass clippings that it picked up, but even this was maybe a marble sized amount.

Of that I am not sure......... it is picking up all of the dead algae as you clear your pool and it is also helping circulate the water so.........BUT does it also not allow the dead algae to fall to the bottom to be picked up? It is one of those 6 of one and half a dozen of another type of things.

Kim:cat:

Didn't get to test until later on in the evening. FC had fallen to 5 this time. Added enough chlorine to take back up to FC 14.

Day 1 total 10% chlorine - 10 gallons

Fell to 5 again from overnight as of 0700, and I have bumped back up to 13 with 2 gallons 10%...trying to stay patient though with clear water it's crazy that I am requiring so much bleach!

I haven't used the auto-cover at all yet. Is this in contact with the water at all or is the concern to sanitize it so it doesn't cause problems next time it's used?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.