wet_labrador

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
new jersey
so i had to wait a while to get the electrician in to open the pool. i had to wait even longer for the pb to actually open it. so about 2 weeks went by with the water not circulating.

here are my logs from those days. i immediately SLAMed the pool and brushed all aspects every day.

phfccyacctach
7.200000open, no pump
6.81020000SLAM, no pump
73009050SLAM, no pump
70.5SLAM, no pump, OFCL
7.89300.5SLAM, no pump, OFCL
7.26.5250.570-80SLAM, no pumpadded 1.5 jugs of chlorine
71added 2 jugs of chlorine
7.2110.25added 1 jug chlorine
8.5added 1 jug chlorine
101.5added .5 jug

so far so good. not bad for standing water for several weeks, right? since i opened, it went down from 13 to 10 and then 10 to 7.5, so in full sun about 3ppm loss of chlorine per day. but during this time i was running my swg @ 80% for 12 hours.

i'm a bit concerned, given i have a salt system (which i forgot to add to my dang signature), of running a cya between 60-80. but i remember reading a post from a mod where that's always better than dealing with a bloom, and i'm inclined to agree.

i have a parallel thread going in the pumping section, about trying to get the lowest possible pump speed, so i gotta figure how that relates to my salt water generator; my goal is to run that at the lowest setting possible to maximize its life but i'd rather it die sooner than deal with blooms. also, does flow matter at all? meaning whether i'm running the pump at low or high speed, it still generates the same FC, right, i can only lower % by running pump longer?

How does your water look. SLAM is a process, not a one time addition of chlorine.

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

The maintain is the key. You need to raise FC to shock level for your CYA and maintain it at that level by testing and adding chlorine as often as necessary until:

Water is clear
CC is less than .5
OCLT shows a loss of chlorine of less than 1 (overnight chlorine loss test)

yes, sorry, i guess my chart didn't indicate that i was constantly adding chemicals to the "pond" on a daily basis before i had any equipment running; equipment making the "pond" a "pool".

at first i was trying to keep FC above 10, toward the end above 13.

when they hooked up the equipment, the water was cloudy, but the CC was less than .5 and the OCLT was <1ppm.

within a day of running the filter, the pool was clear.

so, i wanted to say thanks, since my test kit and the pool math really kept me on track. i test once a day until i begin to understand my pools needs in its current environment.

just trying to get a handle on what percentage to run my swg, and whether or not it's better to up its %, or to run the pump on lower speed longer. (longer for the most cost effective approach).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.