s1njin

Jun 11, 2015
Jackson, NJ
FC: 7.5
CC: 0
TA: 120
Ph: 7.2
CYA: 70-80

This morning I went out to do my weekly pool maintenance. I found a small amount of green algae on the wall of my swimout steps.

My water is crystal clear and my chlorine levels are above the recommended TFP levels.

My pool is irregular shaped / free form so I definitely have 'dead areas' of circulation in my pool. Also my pool backs right up to the woods and it has been WINDY the past couple days.

Do I have to worry about this? Is it 'ok' for this to happen once in awhile, especially for an irregular shaped pool that by its nature doesn't benefit from water movement in all areas?

I hesitate to SLAM b/c I just got done doing that 3-4 weeks ago after opening and my chlorine has been slowly drifting south ever since. It hasn't dipped below 6ppm yet.

Re: Algae Question

Bump up the FC a little higher and brush the pool well. If you can adjust the return eyes to improve circulation that will help. A few pingpong balls will help you see how the water circulates in the pool. If you can't improve circulation to the area where algae forms, you may want to pour a little chlorine directly into that area and swish it with the pool brush. You may also want to consider adding borates to the pool as a mild algaecide. Borates stay in the water longer than conventional algaecide treatments and have less adverse side effects. Read more about borates here: Borates - Why and How

Thank you. I brush the pool once a week. This involves using one of those brushes with the whale fin (awesome invention btw) to hit the walls proper. I than run that brush along the bottom where the wall meets the floor. I than brush the sloped sections of the floor in the deep end. After that its the regular brush to scrub the waterline and the steps/swim-out.

I can direct a bit more waterflow to the steps via my valves, but it takes away from the pool proper. My SWG is attached to the pool proper jets, not before the split of my pool jets and stair jets. I always bias my valves to pool proper/SW Cell.

I also don't use Polyquat as I have observed the chlorine demand that is the byproduct of it.

I've always lamented the amount of returns in my pool. I was supposed to get a return in each swimout/step and 4 in the pool for a grand total of 6. When my pool was finished and plumbed I ended up with 10 (2 in each swimout/step, 6 in the pool). I don't generate much velocity out of them.

This morning I capped the two returns in the middle of the pool. My pool builder installed circulator return jets in the deep end, I've removed them in favor of 3/8" eyeballs. I've pointed my (now) 4 pool returns to a counter-clockwise circulation pattern (the non-circulator eyeballs were just firing straight out). I have a lot more velocity on my remaining returns; I'm hopeful this helps address my dead zones.

Well, it turns out that it is Mustard algae. Which is a real bummer b/c I just got everything squared away.

Last year i had a bout of it and the Pool store sold me some Bromine chemical. The yellow went away VERY quickly but my chlorine dropped. I was shocking the heck out of my pool to get the chlorine to hold; after a week of that it was 'starting' to hold but the cover went on the pool.

I can only guess the mustard wasn't completely gone. As my chlorine started to drift downwards after a successful SLAM this spring (opening the pool), I started to notice more pollen looking stuff in the pool. I thought it was pollen b/c my chlorine was still on the high side (FC 14 going to 12 going to 11). Also it was pollen season around me, I back into the woods, and everything was coated with it. I was thinking 'how could it be algae w/ my chlorine so high?' Ph was running a little low which activates more of the chlorine. I was way over the target Pool School SWG/CYA number.

So fast forward to recently. I dropped my pH again due to my inherent pH rise b/c of my SWG, kept my percentage so that I had 11 chlorine going into the pool and went on vacation for a week. Came back to a cloudy yellow bottom smeared pool and a yellow haze all along the deep end walls. Chlorine was at 6 instead of the 11 I left it at. Really bummed about it.

What I've done so far:

A. Vacuumed to waste 80% of what I could.
B. Added more water, put SWG at 50% from 40%.
C. Shocking pool. Chlorine at 34 ppm at CYA 60-65

From what I understand I need to SLAM, and than raise to Mustard Algae Shock level for 24 hours after the SLAM.

I'm also going to start dosing PolyQuat 60 after I'm done w/ the SLAM/Mustard Shock.

Alk: 85
Chlorine: 34
CC: 0
pH: 7.0
CYA: 60-65

Once the pool looks 'clear' I'll submerge my vacuum robot and all the pool toys. i guess I have to put my test tubes and stuff in there too. I'll leave it all that way until I pass the SLAM/Mustard Shock 24.

Am I missing anything?

No need for the polyquat if you maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. If you do use it keep an eye on your FC because it will increase your daily FC consumption.

Looks good except your FC is too high right now. Round up to 70 on CYA for your chlorine dosage and follow the SLAM Process process completely.

I had my free chlorine above the minimum at all times, except I guess if fell below the Mustard Target FC, not the 'normal' target FC. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart

So you mean for a CYA of 70 I should have been above the 10.5 Cl PPM? I bumped up to 11 after I had a 'smidge' of it starting. It dropped 5ppm while I was away to 6, which while still above the 'target' FC it was well under the 'Mustard Target', and away we went. I guess when I saw the smidge and bumped it, it was too late?

Very confused.

It never hurts to maintain a little extra FC, especially if there seems to be recurring algae. We have the same issue there are lots of trees dropping stuff and my FC drops sometimes for unknown reasons. We also live in the woods and lots of wildlife visit the pool. Maybe they leave a little something behind sometimes. My CYA is 80 with SWG and I prefer to maintain my FC a little higher than target, usually 8-9. And I will bump it to 12-13 ppm before a big swim weekend. A jug of 8.25% bleach adds 4 ppm so it is convenient to just add a jug on a Saturday morning. The little bit of extra FC seems to help a lot. Extra brushing in problem areas helps too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So I'm on day 6 of my SLAM. Pool is crystal clear, but every morning I still find grey 'schmutz' along a seem of my liner going down to the deep end. I assume this is dead algae or whatever else the shock is killing.

I've been brushing the walls and floor every day. VERY diligent with my chlorine, often times being 5-6ppm over the recommended shock level for my CYA. I'm still losing ~2 ppm of chlorine overnight. I can only assume at this point that I have some algae in the sand filter and its just taking time?

So much for the long holiday weekend ... even if I pass tomorrow I'll have to raise it to Mustard Shock level for 24 hours and than I have let it drift. Its times like this that I question my wisdom in installing the pool in the first place. :(

I've decided to dose it w/ PolyQuat anyway once I'm done slamming and my chlorine drifts back down a bit. The added insurance MIGHT have saved my weekend had I add this to my repertoire earlier.

Very baffled with pool

Hi, I hope it is ok to be posting another thread. I am trying to figure this pool out and it is not easy. Here is the latest...

Been shocking for days and the pool went crystal clear and passed overnight test. So started to let the FC drop down. Yesterday it dropped to 12 (CYA around 20) but when swimming last night, began to notice faint yellow stain/film forming around vinyl edges. Thinking it was related to the low CYA, added granules to skimmer last night and ran filter.

Woke this morning to find what looked like clumps of yellow/brown dirt (or algae - sand looking) along the bottom of the pool. Ran the Polaris 380 which kicked the stuff up easily. The bottom remains stained yellow/pale brown with white spots of clean vinyl shining through. Brushing the "sand" works but brushing the stains does nothing.

There have been small cones falling into the pool from surrounding (oak?) trees and if left sitting on the bottom they are noted to bleed brown onto the vinyl. Maybe this is pollen or tannin staining, but how would that account for the brushable algae like "sand" clusters? Also, as noted below, the FC is extremely high, so any pollen or tannin should be removed. I am baffled!!

I assumed that what I saw this morning was yellow algae so I shocked back up to the yellow algae level plus some because was expecting heavy swimmer load today. My reading at 12:40 pm was as follows:

FC 25.5 :eek:
CC 0.1
pH 7.2 (Taylor test kit)
pH 8.2 (5-in-1 test kit) :confused:
TA 120
CYA 20+ (added more last night)

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Very baffled with pool

That's what I can't figure out. I DID pass the OCTL test two night in a row and the water was clear. But in the morning, the stuff returned, and this time lining the vinyl as a stain.

I really suspect it is pollen or something from the trees but need confirmation and info whether it is just a question of letting the FC (25.5!) do its job

If its mustard algae you have to bring your pool up to Mustard Shock levels for 24 hours after a successful SLAM. If you missed that part, it'll just come back. Also you have to put all your pool gear, toys, tools, etc. in the pool when its at Mustard shock level. Your robot too.

Eilum,

You won't get an accurate pH reading until your FC drops below 10ppm. Did you put the granules straight into the skimmer or in a sock? They always recommend putting it into a sock and either drop it in the skimmer basket or hang it in front of a return to dissolve slowly.
Hi, I hope it is ok to be posting another thread. I am trying to figure this pool out and it is not easy. Here is the latest...

Been shocking for days and the pool went crystal clear and passed overnight test. So started to let the FC drop down. Yesterday it dropped to 12 (CYA around 20) but when swimming last night, began to notice faint yellow stain/film forming around vinyl edges. Thinking it was related to the low CYA, added granules to skimmer last night and ran filter.

Woke this morning to find what looked like clumps of yellow/brown dirt (or algae - sand looking) along the bottom of the pool. Ran the Polaris 380 which kicked the stuff up easily. The bottom remains stained yellow/pale brown with white spots of clean vinyl shining through. Brushing the "sand" works but brushing the stains does nothing.

There have been small cones falling into the pool from surrounding (oak?) trees and if left sitting on the bottom they are noted to bleed brown onto the vinyl. Maybe this is pollen or tannin staining, but how would that account for the brushable algae like "sand" clusters? Also, as noted below, the FC is extremely high, so any pollen or tannin should be removed. I am baffled!!

I assumed that what I saw this morning was yellow algae so I shocked back up to the yellow algae level plus some because was expecting heavy swimmer load today. My reading at 12:40 pm was as follows:

FC 25.5 :eek:
CC 0.1
pH 7.2 (Taylor test kit)
pH 8.2 (5-in-1 test kit) :confused:
TA 120
CYA 20+ (added more last night)

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.