Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test with R-7065 standardized solution - Huh?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test with R-7065 standardized solution - Huh?

So, I got (by my own mistake) the R-7065 CYA 50ppm standardized solution on a re-order. Ok - gives me a baseline to show what CYA test should look like for 50ppm. Waited until new R-0013 arrived, performed test.

This is all fresh stuff from TF Test Kits. (Rebecca is 'da bomb!)

Problem is - I put the R-7065 in the mix bottle, add R-0013 to the top, shake rattle and roll, 30 seconds later - run test. (Have done this now 3 times - 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minute waits - all tests the same result.)

Wow! At 50, black dot is visible. Doesn't disappear until almost 20.

This test has always confounded me as it's so subjective. I've read tons on here about this test, back to the sun, side shadow, upside down under full moon, well, you get the drift.

On pool water test, I'm reading (back to sun) 35ppm.

Or, am I? Anybody have any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Again, everything from TF Test Kits.
    16K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test with R-7065 standardized solution - Huh?

I thought the 50 ppm solution was premixed......meaning you just pour that straight in the tube without any r-7065 mixed in. I may be wrong of course but give that a shot.
    33k(ish) gallon, IG, vinyl liner, Pentair IC60 SWG, Pentair Triton II sand filter, 1.5hp Pentair VS pump (SuperFlo), Sta-Rite (Pentair) 400K BTU heater (LP), (2) Pentair LED spa lights, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

The instructions say to use it in place of the pool water and still add the R-0013.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreSun View Post
    The instructions say to use it in place of the pool water and still add the R-0013.
    Which, is what I did.
    16K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You need equal parts R-7065 and R-0013. If you are filling the mixing bottle to the top you are not mixing the correct amount of reagents together. I like to mix them in a separate vial to make sure I have equal parts of reagents.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

You have to shake it up very well just before you pour it in the viewing tube and you have to be in sunlight, with your back to the sun.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    You need equal parts R-7065 and R-0013. If you are filling the mixing bottle to the top you are not mixing the correct amount of reagents together. I like to mix them in a separate vial to make sure I have equal parts of reagents.
    Makes sense - I was just doing it like the normal CYA test in the bottle. I'll try it your way when the sun comes up tomorrow.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit