Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help my pool has gone green

1. Back To Top    #1

Help my pool has gone green

Help Am new here my pool just crapped out on me. Was out of town for 5 days to return to a extremely green pool. It was crystal clear when I left. Need an action plan
    This is what it looked like 5 to 10 days ago.

This is what I found today:

25000 inground gunite , sand filter with zeobrite sand, 1.5 hp hayward centurion pump, barracuda X7 suction cleaner, 4 deck jets, one aerator, ozone generator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help my pool has gone green

Well, you need to shock your pool... Pool School'sDefeating Algae is the place to start. Can't suggest anything more specific unless you provide some test results.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by AzBlk
    Help Am new here my pool just crapped out on me. Was out of town for 5 days to return to a extremely green pool. It was crystal clear when I left. Need an action plan. This is what it looked like 5 to 10 days ago.

This is what I found today:
    Before you go any further you need to read Jason's "Turn your swamp into a sparking oasis"... http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html

When you've read it, please post your water readings. We're glad to help, but can't offer much help without knowing what's going on.

This is workable!
    Was the pump running while you were gone?
    What test kit are you using to check you water?
    Please put the pool information (size, type, etc.), filter type, pump size, water features, chlorination methods, etc. in your postings (-> control panel, ->profile, ->edit segnature).
    That way we won't keep asking...
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you very much I read those posts and I hit it hard with shock. I seems the algae is dead/dying but those water is now very cloudy but blue again.
    25000 inground gunite , sand filter with zeobrite sand, 1.5 hp hayward centurion pump, barracuda X7 suction cleaner, 4 deck jets, one aerator, ozone generator.

5. Back To Top    #5

Run your filter continuously until it has cleared it up. You may need to backwash, depending on your filter type.

Add your pool specs to you signature as that will help people give you correct info.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you very much I read those posts and I hit it hard with shock. I seems the algae is dead/dying but those water is now very cloudy but blue again.
    In addition to running your pump 24x7 you'll need to brush several times a day.
    Please post your water readings...
    Please put the pool information (size, type, etc.), filter type, pump size, water features, chlorination methods, etc. in your postings (-> control panel, ->profile, ->edit segnature).
    Please post your water readings.
    By doing that we may be able to help you adjust your water so that you don't come home to a "greenie-meanie" again .
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

7. Back To Top    #7

You know you are done shocking when:

You lose less than 1ppm FC overnight;
    Your CC is .5 or less;
    Your water is sparkly-clear.

Unless those three criteria have been met, you aren't done yet....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Before you go any further you need to read Jason's "Turn your swamp into a sparking oasis"... http://www.troublefreepool.com/turni...sis-t4147.html

When you've read it, please post your water readings. We're glad to help, but can't offer much help without knowing what's going on.

This is workable!
    That way we won't keep asking...
    Signature edited to include pool information. Yes pump was on a 4 hour timer should have been running. We had a bad storm when I was gone and maybe that was part of the problem. I dont have a test kit, take water to pool store

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank God for this forum. The pool is getting better but still needs a lot of work.
    24 hours after first shocking:

48 hours later:

Still adding shock every 6 hours and taking water to pool store once a day.

10. Back To Top    #10

These are the latest test results. Pool is looking better but its just not getting there quick enough.

FC - 2.5 ppm
    CC - 0.0 ppm
    TC - 2.5 ppm
    CYA - 25 ppm
    pH - 7.6

Is there anything else I can do besides add shock and keep testing. I need a big bottle of POP.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Keep adding more chlorine. You should not let the chlorine dip below shock value. 2.5ppm is way too low.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree, keep shocking!

It didn't turn green over night, and it's not gonna clear over night. Crack open the POP, sit back and relax! It'll be beautiful once again!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Signature edited to include pool information. Yes pump was on a 4 hour timer should have been running. We had a bad storm when I was gone and maybe that was part of the problem. I dont have a test kit, take water to pool store
    You really need to look at getting a good test kit. It may seem like a lot of money for the full tftestkit, but it's worth every penny, easily pays for itself with just the frustration it will save you.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Ditto to Randy's comments.

The best investment we made in our pool is the test kit. It has saved us many, many $$ and put us in control of our pool.

I highly recommend the TF100 from http://www.tftestkits.net. Not only is it one of the two most recommended, it is a better bang for the $$, A-1 service, and duraleigh, the owner, is always around to help with any testing issues.

Do yourself and your pool a big favor and order one.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!