Stenner Install Chlorine Injection

The GFI outlet has both a line and a load connection points. This means you can feed straight 110V black hot leg from the breaker to the line connection in the back of GFI outlet. Then run black hot wire from the load connection on the back of GFI to the line side of the relay. Then black hot wire from load side of relay to an plain outlet, to which you'll plug the Stenner into. This way, all outlets that are downstream of the GFI outlet are also GFI protected. This is standard practice with GFI, they all have provisions to protect other outlets that are wired through them. Only thing to remember is the white neutral also has to run through the GFI outlet for it to work. The GFI works by constantly monitoring both the black and white wires for any differences in current between them (which would indicate current is leaking out of the circuit, presumably into someone's body to ground)
I'll take pics tonight and draw you a schematic

This is basically what my pool guy did to install the light - which makes a lot of sense. The pool light obviously has to be GFCI protected - except he used red. But I can see how he is using the GFCI downstream. Getting a similar setup for an additional plug sounds like a perfect plan.

Here is a picture of my setup. Now that I am gone and I can't check, I can't tell if the light used up the load connection I need for the additional outlet. Maybe using a wire connector. But I think I am getting somewhere with your help. Once this is done, I will definitely be indebted to this forum (and you!).

View attachment 51624

I am so jealous AND so glad I came across this thread because I think you just volunteered to help me with many questions given our similar setups!

I have been debating Liquidator vs Stenner for my entire pool ownership (13 months). I took control of my pool from the pool guy 2 months ago who was using pucks and spending 3 minutes cleaning baskets, etc. I have been spending 15 minutes a day measuring chemicals, adding chlorine, screwing around. I think I am convinced I have to go the Stenner route.

I have a Intellitouch and an Intelliflo VS. Like you, I want to set this bad boy up to pump when I tell it - through the relays when my pump is running and when I select that particular relay. Outside of adjusting the amount going in my pool occasionally and dumping a barrel fool of chlorine every 2-3 weeks, I don't ever want to touch it!

I have a question that maybe you may/may not be interested in doing. Would you be able to take a picture inside your control panel and pointing out the electrical components for the stenner? I'm not an electrician - but I have no issues doing it. And truth is, I don't trust a pool service guy because, let's be honest, most of them have no idea what they're doing (although I think the good ones hang out here!).

I want to reclaim my evenings! HA.

Ok, here is a semi-official schematic as well as a couple pictures. Hope this helps!

c3b74e7a690df0277c75ca252f79169f

ffe827dd8bf8a98ebcf24dd774e3d631

a81081aed76d2e65afbe418bb825553a

1b7744002d008c55e6cb3388298c944f

Reactions: EngineerNerd
Ok, here is a semi-official schematic as well as a couple pictures. Hope this helps!

This is extremely helpful... You aren't an artist though, huh? Kidding! It is perfect. It is very, very helpful. I am going to draw a diagram for my setup and run it by you. Would appreciate your thoughts on it. I am curious a bit why people cut the wires if they can do an outlet in their box and not void the warranty?

But you have been KEY to helping me figure out my Stenner without (hopefully) shocking myself in the process. My wife and I are both tired of me feeding the pool every night!

OK. I think I have my diagram. Basically, I figured out I can't go from the pump because the GFI is plugged into its own breaker and I don't want to do an entire re-wire. I've reattached my current set-up below. SOOO... that leads me to this diagram.

Basically, I am tethering off the pool light relay. Running it to a standard outlet. Putting a pigtail on the white neutral wires (dotted lines here). Do you think this would work? If so - one question... if there is a ground wire in the new outlet, should I pigtail it or put it directly into the the ground bar? I am guessing direct.

The other possibility, of course, is running a second load (red wire) from the outlet to Aux 3 instead of piggy backing off the pool light.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Joe
View attachment 51744
View attachment 51745

This is extremely helpful... You aren't an artist though, huh? Kidding! It is perfect. It is very, very helpful. I am going to draw a diagram for my setup and run it by you. Would appreciate your thoughts on it. I am curious a bit why people cut the wires if they can do an outlet in their box and not void the warranty?

But you have been KEY to helping me figure out my Stenner without (hopefully) shocking myself in the process. My wife and I are both tired of me feeding the pool every night!

Yea not sure about an outlet actually inside the box, I have a GFI outlet that is mounted through the box, at the bottom right side. Then I have one near the Stenner that the pump plugs into, this outlet is wired through the GFI, as I've drawn it. Are you planning to put your pump outlet actually inside the Intellitouch box? I don't see why you couldn't do it that way, just haven't seen it ever done that way. Are your box and pump both outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. I think I have my diagram. Basically, I figured out I can't go from the pump because the GFI is plugged into its own breaker and I don't want to do an entire re-wire. I've reattached my current set-up below. SOOO... that leads me to this diagram.

Basically, I am tethering off the pool light relay. Running it to a standard outlet. Putting a pigtail on the white neutral wires (dotted lines here). Do you think this would work? If so - one question... if there is a ground wire in the new outlet, should I pigtail it or put it directly into the the ground bar? I am guessing direct.

The other possibility, of course, is running a second load (red wire) from the outlet to Aux 3 instead of piggy backing off the pool light.

Thanks,
Joe
View attachment 51744
View attachment 51745

Jumpering your hot line off the pool light relay is perfectly fine. But you can't splice into the neutral the way you have it drawn. You'll need to splice into neutral coming out of the load side of the GFI or there should be a white neutral post on the LOAD side of the GFI outlet to use. In fact, there should be both a hot and neutral posts on the LOAD end of the GFI outlet that you could use, instead of grabbing your hot off the light relay

Thanks,
Joe
View attachment 51744
View attachment 51745
I'd run red wire and white wire from the TOP LOAD terminals of the GFI. RED would go through your Stenner relay and then to the Stenner outlet. White would go directly to Stenner outlet. That's really the cleanest way to do it

I'd run red wire and white wire from the TOP LOAD terminals of the GFI. RED would go through your Stenner relay and then to the Stenner outlet. White would go directly to Stenner outlet. That's really the cleanest way to do it

OK.. took your advice. I used the top load terminals and fed directly into the standard terminal with both the red and white. So now both red/white ports on the load side will be used. The pool light is then only relevant in its current setup (since it piggy backs of the GFI).

Let me know what you think about this. The one other thing is that yes, I am going to have an outlet in the box. The pump and control panel (everything!) is outside - which is why I *need* it to be off the GFI plug - because I want to make sure if anything goes wrong or some kind of leak, my system is protected. That said, all the electrical is in there for everything - these things are made to be outside... but if there was a leak in it, my stenner pump would be the least of my worries!

Let me know if you have any other input on this... I may have to run this by an electrician as well and stop hijacking your awesome, insanely good work.

View attachment 51747

OK.. took your advice. I used the top load terminals and fed directly into the standard terminal with both the red and white. So now both red/white ports on the load side will be used. The pool light is then only relevant in its current setup (since it piggy backs of the GFI).

Let me know what you think about this. The one other thing is that yes, I am going to have an outlet in the box. The pump and control panel (everything!) is outside - which is why I *need* it to be off the GFI plug - because I want to make sure if anything goes wrong or some kind of leak, my system is protected. That said, all the electrical is in there for everything - these things are made to be outside... but if there was a leak in it, my stenner pump would be the least of my worries!

Let me know if you have any other input on this... I may have to run this by an electrician as well and stop hijacking your awesome, insanely good work.

View attachment 51747

No problem at all, I don't mind helping. You can always push the test button on the GFI with your pump running, it should kill the pump when you do, that's how you know it's being ground fault monitored properly. If you want to take a picture of the final setup I can probably look it over to make sure it's correct. Glad to help, I've sure taken a lot of help from this forum, so I sure don't mind giving help wherever I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still jealous. Ha!

spoke with my pops today who is a general contractor. He was like "dude... Add an extra breaker and just go direct to the relay to the outlet. Makes sense. Now just have to figure out how to inject this I to my system.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to check in and let y'all know some things. Since installing the Stenner and firing it up, I've had absolutely zero problems with the system!

The pump and tubing is totally leak free and my FC readings are dialed in now and very consistent day to day. I've settled in on 25% output (variable output Stenner) and my FC consistently hovers in the 9.0-10.0 range. My Stenner and Intelliflo both run for 4 hrs in the morning and 4 hrs in the evening, so 8 hrs total run time daily. The FC is a tad high for my CYA level of 55 ppm, but I'd rather run it a little high and play it safe. I may tweak it down to 22% eventually, but for now I'm satisfied.

The pump makes the clicking noise as others have described, but it doesn't bother me, I actually prefer it as its a good way to know the pump is running as it should.

Anyways, if you're on the fence about a Stenner, don't hesitate as you won't be disappointed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.