Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Blue Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Blue Water

Hi all, first time poster here. Been having problems with a blue cloudy pool all season so far so after alot of reading here decided to make the investment into a TF-100 test kit. Love the kit!

I have a 21' x 4' round above ground vinyl pool with sand filter.

Initial readings were as follows:
    PH 8.2
    FC .5
    CC 0
    TC .5
    TA 180
    CYA ~10-15 (filled the cylinder to the top and the black dot is hazy but visible so I'm estimating)

Pool calc says to add 35oz of CA. I had some granular CA on hand and didn't want to overshoot so added about 20oz.

Calc also calls for 98oz of 6% bleach. Should I add that in about an hour as well?

Also, how concerned should I be with the high PH and TA readings at this time?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
    Chris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Blue Water

You already have the test kit so ready to roll

You're going to need to SLAM it though

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You'll need to get the PH down to 7.2 before starting and CYA around 30. With what you already added you should be pretty close to 30.

With it being only cloudy hopefully it will be a quick and easy one and then enjoy the sparkling clear water!
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks for the info.

I'll run out and grab some MA now and get that in there to work on the pH level.

How long should I wait to retest for an accurate CYA and pH reading?

4. Back To Top    #4

30 mins after adding the MA for ph. CYA will take a few days to register so assume it's in there and begin your SLAM. No need to retest PH during SLAM. Could get a false reading. Be sure to brush, brush, brush.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

Perfect, I'll get that MA in there and get the pH down and start slamming this afternoon.

How often should I brush during slam? A couple times a day?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ckelly1212 View Post
    Perfect, I'll get that MA in there and get the pH down and start slamming this afternoon.

How often should I brush during slam? A couple times a day?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    No less than once a day. But seriously I'm a believer in the more the better. Algae doesn't like being brushed. I find in my own pool with a sand filter even when it's looking clear that brushing lots the more I brush, the quicker it stops looking cloudy.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Couple times a day would be good. Be sure to maintain your FC level by testing often during your SLAM.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

So I got my MA in and I'll retest in about a half an hour and adjust if necessary until I get it down to around 7.2.

With my test numbers from this morning in the pool calc it says shock level at 10ppm, that's the level I need to maintain during slamming correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You added CYA right? You'll want to calculate that in. So if you added enough to get your CYA to 30 you'll want to target your FC for CYA of 30 which would be 12 for shock.

If the CYA was placed in a sock to dissolve and is all dissolved, you should be able to test for it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes I did.

I didn't use the sock method, added it directly to the skimmer. Is that ok??

When I set the target at 30, it does say 12.

11. Back To Top    #11

First time I've ever used MA and it worked perfectly!! Retested the pH and it's exactly 7.2. You're all lifesavers, thanks so much!

Didn't bother with the CYA test, just went ahead and added the 123oz of liquid chlorine as per the pool calc to begin slamming.

I'll post updates and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction everyone!!

12. Back To Top    #12

UPDATE - Well it took about a week (with my hectic schedule of softball games with kids and work) but the bottom of my pool is visible again. Not crystal clear, but it will be soon with the help I've gotten here.

Thanks again for all your help!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ckelly1212 View Post
    UPDATE - Well it took about a week (with my hectic schedule of softball games with kids and work) but the bottom of my pool is visible again. Not crystal clear, but it will be soon with the help I've gotten here.

Thanks again for all your help!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kudos to you. You decided to take control with a good test kit.