Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling the crack - what to use silicone or?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tucson (Marana) AZ

Filling the crack - what to use silicone or?

My crack: expansion joint between the pool deck and the coping ( the stone immediately surrounding the pool) This is the area needed to fill this crack above my tile below the coping...? After putting in a filler to bring the expansion joint within 1/2" several other posts use polyurethane products. A pool service tech recommend Boss Silicone - any experience as to this product? Would it be any better to use a marine grade product like 3M 5200 fast cure sealant on my application. Being in AZ with more swim season & heat than the average- will silicone based products provide the best waterproof & flexible seal?
    12/2012; 16K Gal. IG PebbleTec, Pool w/Spa attached, Pump Sta-Rite IntelliPro 4speed VS 3050 160gpm, Cartridge Filters Sta-Rite S8M150 450SqFt, Pentair IC60 SWCG, Turbo System 20 In Floor PopUp Heads Cleaner, Zodiac Auto Cover, Pentair EasyTouch 8 Controls & Screen Logic Interface w/APP for phone remote access, InterFab Slide, FiberOptic perimeter lites, TestKit TF100!!! The BEST & the Taylor Speed Stir - A MUST HAVE!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Filling the crack - what to use silicone or?

Polyurethane caulk is the best product. Sikaflex is the brand of choice for my PB. Another member recently discovered this product, NovaLink SL, which looks promising also. But, I haven't seen any real world analysis of its performance. But, I am considering trying it next time.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Filling the crack - what to use silicone or?

+1 what pooldv said. As an aside, self leveling polyurethane is very tempting but I found it incredibly difficult to use.

I would say to say with a non-leveling polyurethane.....Sikaflex is very commonly used but there are several other brands.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School