Sand filter question (how much)

May 11, 2016
MD
How full should the sand filter be? I know mine kicks some out from time to time, and have heard it can lose 1/4 cup to backwashing.

I have no idea how much I need in there as i took it over from previous owners, they have a bag of sand they left... doesn't say the size on it, but says it is for pools.

ok, it has a 49/20 silica sand.

I can't do a great sand cleaning as no matter what I close, water leaks out a pipe that can't be closed.... but when i opened it, it is just over half way full of sand...

Sand filters come in many different sizes. Usually there is a tag on filter that gives you the square footage. A general rule of thumb 100lbs. of #20 silica sand for 1 sq. ft. of area. Also if you have the model # you could go to Pentair website to download a manual

This would be The TR-60 which is 3.1 sq. ft. Manual should say it requires 320 lb of sand. The manual also has a picture of the freeboard measurement which is from top of filter to top of sand bed, which I believe to be 10-11 inches

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.