New build in Eastern NC

Kappadon3

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
winterville, nc
So almost 4 years to the day i posted my first set of questions here. I thought I was ready back then. It didn't pan out at that time but we are all in this season. Since my first post i have soaked up a lot of knowledge from this amazing community. I want to tank you all!!! I was much better educated and prepared to finally dive in (booooo - not punny at all)
So the week of July 18th (wife's B-day) our PB is starting. my signature has the details. We need to finalize liner and bottom profile. of course after that i will have a million other things to decide on. the grand scope of the project has been outlined and contractors selected some of which is DIY (the landscaping and such, not the hard stuff)

Here is the general area of where the pool will be - about 3 feet from the edge of existing stamped concrete patio. The same contractor is coming to continue the pattern around the pool and extend the patio the length of the pool back to the house.
IMG_5688.jpg

Still shopping for a cleaner and safety cover. those things to come. Leaning toward Doheny discover (which is basically a Dolphin). Cover still up in the air

Any IG pool owners in NC? Does NC summers need a solar cover?

Ill be sure to post pics!!

Hi neighbor! :) We are in Concord and put our pool in last summer. We didn't finish up until the end of August, and while the kiddos were *still* swimming into some days in December this is our first full summer with a pool. We don't have a solar cover, though I've thought about it. For our taste the water is plenty warm - it's been running around 87 with all the heat and sunny days we've had. Kids actually jumped in for the first time this season in the middle of March!

I do think the solar cover would help with evaporation. (I'm not sure - we are still very new to this.) If it does that would be awesome, because we do seem to lose a good bit of water with the slightly cooler nights. Plus we have not had nearly enough rain lately...

I will say that we LOVE our Dolphin cleaner. We have the M400. Makes it so simple to keep the pool clean. That combined with TFP methods and we are very, very pleased with our pool.

Looking forward to following your build! :)

does anyone have any strong views about Merlin liner vs Latham liners? The wife and I like the Havana Tile border and Runaway Bay bottom 27mil. Also as far as seams goes. looks like they both have their way of masking seams. Does any one have real world pictures of the Merlin seams?

got my TF-100 kit in the mail. how many of you guys ordered a bunch of pool stuff before the ground was even broken? So thanks to another post and a little research we are going for granite grey steps and corresponding grey other bits (skimmer, jets, etc

Attachments

• Havana-Tile-Runaway-Bay-Bottom.jpg
    Havana-Tile-Runaway-Bay-Bottom.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 351
Hello TFP!! Question: as we are preparing to break ground next week, what last minute (relatively minor and inexpensive) add ons should i consider asking the PB? example umbrella sleeves/receivers in the concrete deck, deck jets? (have 2 in the plan), etc. If you would do it again what small add ons would you have done?

Should be digging tomorrow or Saturday - cant wait. Need to take a few before pics.
So how many newbies have shared the TFP method and target levels with your PB? How was it received? are the standard TFP chemical levels that far off the 'traditional' methodology that some are taken aback? I have a great comfort level with our PB, but just curious about other experiences.
Every day I am getting goodies from the ups guy:
Cleaner - delivered
froglog - delivered
skim Doctor 2.0 - delivered
aquacomb - delivered

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you read the TFP Pool School and ABCs of Water Chemistry, then compare the TFP Recommended Levels to "industry levels", you will see a few differences. But once you understand why, and then test water on your own via one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C), you'll see why. There simply is no substitute for being 100% in control of your own pool water using the proper chemicals in correct dosages. Let us know if you have any questions.

so this weekend we did not get a hole in the ground. The P/B excavator was tied up in another job, blah, blah, blah. realized i didnt have before pics of the site and my crude drawing of the plans. The P/B has some more detailed hardcore plans. Since i am acting as the 'general contractor' for the Project as a whole, the P/B is basically only taking care of the pool. I have a concrete guy who is also doing some privacy landscaping after the big toys chomp up the yard.

Enjoy
IMG_5730.jpg
IMG_5723.jpg
forgot to draw in the pool steps in this version, but it would be right side of the edge near existing patio.

Welcome to TFP. I would get the 40,000 SWG, it will last longer because you won't be turning it up as high. Make sure your Cartridge filter is large enough. You may be able to go with an over sized sand filter for less money. I know cartridges filter down better but sand has some advantages especially if and when you get algae.

so did I set my self up for a problem?
we have two lights in the pool that will be facing the house/seating area. it is really dark on the patio and I was hoping that the light would brighten up the area. After reading a few threads now i feel like i goofed. anyone have pics of lights pointing the seating area/house? Is there a shroud or something that can aid in directing the light down, rather than having them shooting straight out?

a lil help please

I can't help you with the lights but check for metals (iron especially) before you add chlorine. If you have a lot, you'll know real soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.