What did I do?!

Jul 1, 2016
North Branch, MI
My husband and I bought a house with a pool. We opened it about three weeks ago. We are totally new to pool ownership. Here's a rundown of what I did. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong, what I should do right in the future. And how to (if possible) correct my water for my party tomorrow!

I cleaned the basket in the skimmer and remembered someone telling me that I need to clean the basket in the pump every so often, as well. So I turned off the pump and went over to the pump and took off the cover. Water was overflowing everywhere and wouldn't stop! I had no idea what was happening so I turned the pump from filter to backwash. (Please don't ask me why, I was panicking lol. I think my logic was to get the water to go somewhere else!) Well that didn't help, so as the water is overflowing and seemingly flooding the ground, I wrestled with the lid to get it back on. Finally, I got it! So I said forget the basket, for now. And I turned the pump back on. I can't remember at this point if I turned the pump back to filter or not. I may have turned it on for a split second, remembered the setting, then fixed it and turned it back on?? It's a panicked fog. What I do know, is that when I turned the filter back on it shot a cloud of dirty brown water into my pool through the return. Did I backwash into my pool?

How do I prevent this from happeneding again? And should I do anything to clean up my pool? I have company coming tomorrow!!!! The brown has basically mixed in with the pool. Still looks clear, I guess.

I dont really know why to put in my signature just yet. But here's my pool info.
24' Lomart Whispering Wind round above ground pool, Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward CL-200 chlorine machine.

:calm: Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as if when you removed the strainer basket (clear) lid, there was either another air valve or something open or the pump is below the waterline of the pool (gravity) so water rushed-out. Usually there is a shut-off valve between that basket at the pool and sometimes another valve after the pump so you can isolate it completely from water flow when yo remove the lid.

In any case, it sounds as if during your "panic mode" you turned the valve through a setting or two and probably pushed some sand back to the pool. Not the worst thing, and you should be able to vacuum it up later - or your husband will. :wink: Everything should be fine. Be here's a couple tips for next time:
- Whenever your move the multiport valve to different settings, ALWAYS ensure the pump is "OFF" and turn the valve in the same direction each time.
- Close ANY shut-of valves before/after the pump before removing that strainer basket lid.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Try to have a more relaxing weekend. :) :cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one final (very important thing), if you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, please order one ASAP (link below). You'll need it to verify water test results on your own. The pool store and guess-strips are not worth the time I assure you. Case in point - watch that in-line chlorinator. Chlorine tabs add too much stabilizer to water when used over the season requiring you to drain the water. Just some heads-up advise. :)

Thank you for the response! I'll make sure to look for the shut off valve next time I take the lid off. The water was definitely above the minimum line. And wow! I didn't know the chlorine machine was a "bad" thing. It's incredibly convenient. Why would they make such a thing if it's going to cause people to have to drain the water? I'll definitely look into it. I'm sure there are posts about it on this site so I will take a look. Thanks again!

Why would they make such a thing if it's going to cause people to have to drain the water?
Well, they have their purpose "in moderation", but you'll see hundreds of thousands of posts here related to algae/cloudiness where the root cause was "too much stabilizer (CYA) attributable to chlorine tabs and bags of sock". It keeps the pool stores in business I can assure you. But when used smartly, they can serve a purpose.

We're happy to help you though. If you have any other questions, just ask. have a great day.

Thank you for the response! I'll make sure to look for the shut off valve next time I take the lid off. The water was definitely above the minimum line. And wow! I didn't know the chlorine machine was a "bad" thing. It's incredibly convenient. Why would they make such a thing if it's going to cause people to have to drain the water? I'll definitely look into it. I'm sure there are posts about it on this site so I will take a look. Thanks again!

Not bad per say. Putting one on my new pool install so I can use pucks if there are days where I may not be around to handle chemistry, vacation and such.

I KNOW what you are talking about with the water coming up and OUT! Almost impossible to get that lid back on while it is happening for sure!

Take and share a picture of your equipment and such. We can help you know what you have and what you need.

Kim:cat:

Just what you think it means. .....I turn mine clockwise.

The reason is that it keeps the gasket from binding up under the lever. VERY common problem that is stopped by only turning one way.

Kim:cat:

I see. So...This Simple Trick That The Pool Equipment Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know About Will Double The Life Of Your Spider Valves! :)

Just one of many things the members here have learned through trial & error to help extend the life of products and/or avoid problems down the road. For those gaskets in particular, sometimes the rubber can try to grab the inside of the housing and/or form itself into a certain shape/direction. If you disturb that shape, potential problems could occur.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.