cya 30

4:45 test results:

FC .5
    cc .5
    ph 7.4
    TA 100
    ch 125
    cya 30

I checked overnight loss last two nights and it has been 0. How should I proceed to keep my FC levels around 4 and not get to 0 before the end of the day? Full sun, 105 temps, swimmer load (6 kids, averaging 4-6 hours a day).
    15 x 42, 4600 gal, AG summer waves, vinyl, SkimmerPlus 1000 filter pump, K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC loss

As long as you are algae-free, which it sounds like you are because you passed the OCLT and have less than 0.5 CC (clear water too right?), then increase your CYA. It must be hot there in V-ville, so I would increase CYA to at least 50. But make sure to increase your FC along with it - target FC of 6 and NEVER below 4. Your FC should hold much better.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You may have to jack up FC 2 points above target level too. I do.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water gets a bit cloudy by the end of the day but is clear in the morning. I have a venturi style vac which doesn't get the fine dirt just stirs it into the water. The pump isn't greatest either but working on getting an upgrade. I will bump up my cya and fc as suggested and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Does a CC level of 0 necessarily mean no algae is present?

6. Back To Top    #6

No, it does not.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

If you passed the OCLT on the 1st, and it is cloudy now at times, try another OCLT. Then you will know. Also, you may want to test and add at night until you get to know your pool's habits better.

8. Back To Top    #8

I added CYA to bump it to 40 on 7/1, finally got test to read 40 on 7/3. Seemed to keep the FC loss to 2-3 a day. Yesterday kids said pool felt slimy on bottom. I decided to bump FC to 8 from 6. There isn't any cloudiness today. I did OCLT test last night. No loss of FC. So, no cc doesn't mean no algae. Is there anything else I need to look at again?

Last night tested chlorine 1 HR after adding 14 oz 8.25% chlorine to bump from 6 to 8, results:

FC 8
    CC .5

This morning:

FC 8
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    ph 7.4
    TA 100
    ch 125

9. Back To Top    #9

If your daily FC usage seems higher than normal or you suspect algae then you can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something cooking in there.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Is the bottom still "slimy"?

11. Back To Top    #11

There seems to be a spot or two. I scrubbed them up. I will do another OCLT again tonight but last night there was no FC loss and no CC with this mornings test.

12. Back To Top    #12

"Slimy" is a very good indicator of nascent algae.

Glad you brushed and are doing another OCLT. Good luck!!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Last night test chlorine only
    FC 3.5
    CC 0

This morning:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.8

14. Back To Top    #14

You should be good to go then!