Can my Pool be Crystal Clear and have Algae in it?

Chriso

Jun 28, 2016
Center moriches
Don't know if I need to SLAM my pool or just need to raise the CYA level. I have a 24,000 gallon salt pool and have a current CYA of 45. I shocked my pool 3 days ago with 3lbs of granular and 2 days ago with 4lbs. I ran my SWG at super boost for 48 hrs, but my FC level is at 0. Even when I opened my pool it was pretty clear, not green. I power vacc'd everything out, water is crystal clear, but not getting an FC reading. My CC is at .4. My pool is exposed to direct sunlight all day, so Im thinking the sun is burning out the FC. I'm curious if I could have Algae in my pool even though it's clear. Hoping I don't need to SLAM it, but just shock it and add stabilizer.

You can answer your question by doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) which is described: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Take your FC to 5 or more with liquid chlorine early evening. Set your pump to run overnight, with the SWC turned off. Sample after an hour of mixing (just FC and CC). Test again just before sunrise.

And welcome to TFP! Good to have you here. Please add your pool info as a signature. This is described in "Read before posting" (linked in my signature below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.