Arizona pool, summer, and free chlorine usage.

Jul 1, 2015
AZ
My pool right now is crystal clear but I've noticed that it's going through free chlorine much faster than normal. It's a lot hotter now. Above 100 everyday and the pool feels very warm. Here were a lot of palm flowers in the pool the other day so I considered that there may have been algae building up so I started slamming it for the entire day. Got my FC Levels above 24 and ran the pump constantly, but I had to work so I wasn't able to add chlorine while I was at work the next day.

As soon as I got home I tested and my FC Level was 12. That seems like a dramatic drop right? It did rain all last night too. Can that effect FC Levels? Pool is in constant sun as well. Here are the other numbers:

FC 12
Acid 7.8
CYA 60
CC 0

Should I keep slamming? Is this just normal for a hot Arizona summer?

So it looked like my pool was holding an FC Level of 27 before I went to bed last night. I woke up this morning, tested, and I was at 20. I guess there's still an infection? I'm worried though because tomorrow I leave for a week long trip and I don't have anyone that can tend to the pool.

I'm going to add 6 gallons of chlorine tonight and hope I don't have a green pool when I get back. Do you guys think that's a futile effort?

Do you guys think that's a futile effort?
Hard to say. If you have unseen algae, you will probably drop below 10 ppm in 24-48 hours and could drop to zero before you get back.

Far better would be to have someone put in one small jug of Clorox for the last 4 days you are gone....Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.