Jun 5, 2016
Cleveland
I got the Taylor test kit and want to post my results and let's see what I need to learn next.

TA 75ppm
pH 7.8
Cya. 55-60ppm
CH 100 ppm
FC 3.5
CC .5

The water looks cloudy green with some visible algae that I keep brushing. About a week of green. Unsure how much liquid chlorine to add! Pool math said 15 oz, but will that kill the algae?

I have borates in there from previous borax additions but my Taylor doesn't test for that.

Thanks for opinions and suggestions!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Got algae? ... SLAM (link below). :) With a CYA rounded-up to 60, your SLAM FC level is 24. Just make sure to lower your pH FIRST to about 7.2 before raising the FC. Make sure to follow all the other instructions on the SLAM page and you should do fine. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, to save on reagents, test FC with a 10ml sample, one heaping scoop of powder, and take number of drops and divide by 2. Example: 16 drops = FC of 8. :)

I did what you said and lowered the ph- I had never considered that before because 7.8 is the high end of the recommended range, right? Maybe that's why my algae kept coming back..

Now I have but one bottle of chlorine test reagent from the Taylor kit, so should I wait awhile after slam to test so I won't need as many drops? I started to test during slam after adding 121oz bleach and realized it's going to get the tests used up fast.

Welcome! Good to have you hear :)

Pat is dead on. Follow the SLAM article to the letter. It will take multiple days to complete. Only test FC while doing the SLAM, and occasionally CC so we'll see what's happening in the water. The M in SLAM is Maintain, Maintain, Maintain.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

After you annihilate the algae, it will get way easy to care for your pool, and the water will look amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore the rest of the water chemistry for now (TA, pH etc.) that will all get adjusted after the SLAM.

Thank you guys so much for the quick response! I wanted to fix it more before bed , I added a bit of baking soda while waiting on the response so I hope that doesn't mess it up.

Is it safe to let kids swim in there during slam as long as the water LOOKS pretty clear?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
The water is clear, can you see the bottom?

Then swim! :paddle:

Earlier you said the pool was cloudy green, but the pool is safe for swimming when:
You can clearly see the bottom of the pool at the deep end;
The pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, and;
FC is between the minimum and shock level for your CYA level per the Chlorine/ CYA Chart.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

When I make that decision, I consider the error on the CYA test, and use one level down. So if my shock level is 24 ppm FC for CYA at 60 ppm, I use 20 ppm FC as the high level for swimming. Using a lower limit is just my own opinion, because I understand the relationship and know it's ok even a bit higher, but I like to be on the safe side for my grandies. At 24 ppm FC and 70 ppm CYA, I noticed a faint smell of chloramines on my skin when I got out. That's residual FC combining with sweat, skin oils, etc. No one else here in our pool smelled it or felt it enough to comment. I'm a bit OCD, so I swim eyes open on my own after any major change or anything I'm concerned about.

Keeping FC at 24 requires a lot of drops of test unless I let the FC drop before testing. What do you all do about that? If I test often and use 20-50 drops each time with a 10 ml sample, aren't I going to run out of test very quickly?? Taylor only gave me one small bottle of this stuff and the kit wasn't cheap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately one of the downsides to the K2006 is that the R0871 is pretty inadequate when you need to SLAM. As you are realizing you will probably run out. Order a refill from tfttestkits.net and consider some extra R0870 powder and R0013 for CYA while your at it.

In the meantime you csn use a 5ml sample for FC and count each drop as 1.0.

Yeh, we don't always get this straight at the beginning, but yes, you can only do about 11 tests at 48 drops from a 0.75 oz bottle.

As soon as you can - buy this...
10g R-0870 DPD powder - TFTestkits.net
and this...
2 ounce R-0871 FAS-DPD reagent TFTestkits.net
Hang onto the bottle you have, because this bottle will not fit in your case. You can refill your existing bottle from this refill.

Consider for same shipment - speed stirrer, large bottle of CYA reagent

ONLY if you'll run out before you get new so you're stuck right now... (CAVEAT - this is not TFPC, just my own thing)... get some good quality distilled water (pharmacy might be a good source). Use your test cylinder to measure 44 ml of pool water. Pour it in a clean cup. Add 44 ml of distilled water (measured exactly the same, bottom of meniscus, all that). Add it to the cup. Stir it up. Use the new solution for the test, and each drop = 1 PPM FC. Do NOT use this option for OCLT or final CC SLAM ending criteria.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.