Replace a 100 watt light with a 300 watt light

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I doubt it. I assume your fixture was designed and wired to handle 100 watts, not 3 times that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute, maybe I jumped the gun. I thought you were talking about putting a larger bulb in and existing fixture, but if you are replacing wiring and the fixture, it might be fine ... just really bright.

If the fixture says 100 watts then don't exceed the 100 watts bulb size. It may only be 12 volts, but 300 watts means that there is 300 watts of total power being pulled by the bulb. That's 3 times the total power of the 100 watt bulb which is that the fixture was designed for and UL listed at. Three times the power means close to three times the heat generated.

I am replacing the fixture, not just the bulb. I didn't know if there was an issue putting in a higher wattage fixture. I've since located the transformer, and it says 12v, 100 watt max. So I'm returning the one I bought and ordering the 100 watt fixture to avoid problems.

Thanks guys! I've always got help from this page, but never had to post. Always helpful! Happy 4th!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.