2 questions about filter leak around clamp

Nov 7, 2015
Kahului/HI
Hello, I have a Rivierra 30' pool which from this forum I have seen is around 13,600 gal. I have a 3hp variable speed pentair filter pump with a salt generator, with a pentair 60 sq ft filter.. I want to keep it on a low flow but longer period of time, but anything under about 1500rpm the flow light turns red. What also happens is when there is a pressure change in the system, especially from high to low, the filter starts leaking around the clamp. What I have done in the meantime to create enough chlorine , and keep the bottom clean, is keep the pool sweep hooked up at around 2500 rpm. A little more electricity that I want to use but at least keeps the pool clean. I am still finding though, no matter how careful I am to line up the o ring, and making sure I tighten the clamp till the springs touch, it will have no leaks at all then after about 3 or 4 days, when the system starts up, water pours to of the sides of the filter. After the pressure builds up it gets less, but continues with a slow but steady drip. i would like to be able to leave my pool filter alone for at least a week. So far I am have to open it up, might as well spray down the filter and close and tighten it like every 4 days... quite a hassle after hearing how user friendly the systems are.
The system is months old, the o ring's integrity seems good, with this variable speed pump I ideally wanted to have it low most of the day and then like 3 hours at like 3000 rpm to clean up the bottom, any change in pressure just jacks with the seal of the o ring i guess. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

IS that a DE filter?

Did you lube the O-ring? The best way to put the clamp on is to gently tighten the clamp and then tap all the way around with a rubber mallet, then gently tighten the clamp, tap around again, tighten, tap, tighten, tap ... etc. It takes very little force on when tightening the clamp this way.

Sounds like you just have to raise the speed of the pump to find where the SWG continues to work.

Pictures might help see what you are dealing with.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.